Forums · BellyMortar

What I made a moveset? Please excuse my spelling

hebrewhammer

0 +0

Sep 12 '09

We all know that Bellydrum sets are a gimmick, but on Magmortar it has a great chance of surprising the enemy so you might be able to pull this off.

Magmortar@ Salac Berry
Adamant or Jolly 252 atk 252 spd 4hp
-Bellydrum
-Substitute
-Fire Punch/Flare Blitz/Mach Punch
-Earthquake/Cross Chop/ Brick Break/ Ice Punch

Since Magmortar is mainly known as a special attacker in the OU and BL metagame this set will obviously surprise the enemy when you see the set up for a belly drum. Magmortar surprisingly has a great offensive movepool that the belly drum set can take advantage of and even has a priority attack. Stealth rocks will always be a problem and since your subbing and bellydrumin Flare Blitz may end up killing yourself before the enemy does.

When I come back damage calculation on lead tanks and which nature should be picked because magmortar is mediocre in both!

P.S sorry if this sucked I had to write in 5 minutes so I did not have time to make it in depth.
Rating: 0

Ominous Doom

0 +0

Sep 12 '09

YEAH YOU WERE TOO BUSY JOKING AT ME FOR HAVING FOUND A SHINY KOFFING AND I HAD NO POKEBALLS.

Anyways, sounds something that I'd use to surprise Cross. I'd say go with Fire Punch and Earthquake or Ice Punch.

CrossDragon

0 +0

Sep 12 '09

[QUOTE USER="ominousdoom" TIME="1252793362"]YEAH YOU WERE TOO BUSY JOKING AT ME FOR HAVING FOUND A SHINY KOFFING AND I HAD NO POKEBALLS.

Anyways, sounds something that I'd use to surprise Cross. I'd say go with Fire Punch and Earthquake or Ice Punch.[/QUOTE]

You do know that in HG/SS the shiny rate is like over 9000 right? Some guy on /v/ got a Shiny Chikorita when he first started the game.

Ominous Doom

0 +0

Sep 12 '09

[QUOTE USER="crossdragon" TIME="1252793442"][QUOTE USER="ominousdoom" TIME="1252793362"]YEAH YOU WERE TOO BUSY JOKING AT ME FOR HAVING FOUND A SHINY KOFFING AND I HAD NO POKEBALLS.

Anyways, sounds something that I'd use to surprise Cross. I'd say go with Fire Punch and Earthquake or Ice Punch.[/QUOTE]

You do know that in HG/SS the shiny rate is like over 9000 right? Some guy on /v/ got a Shiny Chikorita when he first started the game.[/QUOTE]

The shiny rate seems much lower.

There are like a lot of people getting shinies and PokeRus in this games. Like A LOT.

majestic star

0 +0

Sep 12 '09

I'd recommend you drop Sub and go Adamant as 264 speed (Magmortar can reach 265 with a neutral nature), as that is enough to reach 395, which beats positive nature base 130 speed Pokemon, whereas even with Jolly, it will still be revenged by Scarf 100s. A positive nature for attack when combined with BD will result in a 40% damage output. SR and BD will already put Magmortar at exactly 25% HP, so if Magmortar gets in completely for free, other than SR of course, it will be set. 144 EVs from attack and 4 EVs from speed can be moved to defense to ensure survival against Mamoswine's CB Ice Shard, but Magmortar is unable to simultaneously survive Scizor's CB BP at 25% and outspeed +130s after a Salac boost.

Slowflake

0 +0

Sep 12 '09

Maybe it's to compensate for the loss of the Pokéradar? Regardless, I'm withholding judgment until someone hacks the game data.

Nonetheless, back to Magmortar, I've always had a soft spot for it since its movepool is so much larger than just about every other Fire-type out there. Even more toys to play with is a good thing!

Repto

0 +0

Sep 12 '09

That actually sounds very plausible, Slowflake.

CrossDragon

0 +0

Sep 12 '09

Well, you could just make it so that after the Salac Berry boost, Magmortar gets enough speed to outspeed Base 115s. Hold on, let me run some calcs and I'll get back to you on that.

Edit:

Magmortar @ Salac Berry
Adamant - 84 HP/252 Atk/8 Def/160 Spd
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
- Will-O-Wisp/Thunderpunch

With this EV Spread, 160 Speed allows Magmortar to hit 242 Speed, which after the Salac Berry boost will allow it to outspeed +Spd Base 115s. 84 HP EVs puts Magmortar at 312 HP, so Salac Berry activates on the third Substitute or after 1 Substitute + Belly Drum. The 8 remainder EVs were thrown into Def. With this EV Spread, Scizor's CB Tech'd Bullet Punch deals -

591 Atk vs 189 Def & 312 HP (60 Base Power): 101 - 119 (32.37% - 38.14%)

If you manage to WoW Scizor on the switch in...

591 Atk vs 189 Def & 312 HP (60 Base Power): 51 - 60 (16.35% - 19.23%)

Snap.

majestic star

0 +0

Sep 12 '09

[QUOTE USER="crossdragon" TIME="1252801204"]Well, you could just make it so that after the Salac Berry boost, Magmortar gets enough speed to outspeed Base 115s. Hold on, let me run some calcs and I'll get back to you on that.

Edit:

Magmortar @ Salac Berry
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch

With this EV Spread, 160 Speed allows Magmortar to hit 242 Speed, which after the Salac Berry boost will allow it to outspeed +Spd Base 115s. 84 HP EVs puts Magmortar at 312 HP, so Salac Berry activates on the third Substitute or after 1 Substitute + Belly Drum. The 8 remainder EVs were thrown into Def. With this EV Spread, Scizor's CB Tech'd Bullet Punch deals -

Snap.[/QUOTE]

Why would Scizor switch into Magmortar other than to revenge kill it? And drop Sub and WoW for offensive moves as SR will get it down to 75% and BD will activate the Salac Berry. At 25%, +6 attack, and +1 speed, it should be doing everything in its power to sweep, not burn its opponents. If you can get Scizor below 57% before it switches into Magmortar, +6 +252 Magmortar can OHKO it with Mach Punch after SR damage. But BD Magmortar has so many checks that it wouldn't be worth using.

Ominous Doom

0 +0

Sep 13 '09

[QUOTE USER="majesticstar" TIME="1252813530"][QUOTE USER="crossdragon" TIME="1252801204"]Well, you could just make it so that after the Salac Berry boost, Magmortar gets enough speed to outspeed Base 115s. Hold on, let me run some calcs and I'll get back to you on that.

Edit:

Magmortar @ Salac Berry
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch

Snap.[/QUOTE]

Why would Scizor switch into Magmortar other than to revenge kill it? And drop Sub and WoW for offensive moves as SR will get it down to 75% and BD will activate the Salac Berry. At 25%, +6 attack, and +1 speed, it should be doing everything in its power to sweep, not burn its opponents. If you can get Scizor below 57% before it switches into Magmortar, +6 +252 Magmortar can OHKO it with Mach Punch after SR damage. But BD Magmortar has so many checks that it wouldn't be worth using.[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree a bit there. Not every opponent uses SR. Sure, it's common, but doesn't mean you won't face opponents without it (and I'm also including Spikes). Not using Sub is pretty much a gamble. And as for WoW, I don't really know. If you don't go with Sub, I say use it. Not to mention Magmortar is way too frail at -50% to resist any incoming Physical attack, not to mention Super effective.

majestic star

0 +0

Sep 13 '09

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60995

IIRC, that is the probability that each move appears on a moveset. Because there are 6 Pokemon on each team, ~70% of teams have SR. The problem with Sub and WoW is that both limit its moveset, and at 25%, and those boosts, the best defense is a good offense. I suppose the other 2 moves highly depend on a person's playstyle. But like I already said, BD Magmortar is too frail, weak and slow so it's somewhat meaningless.