Forums · Pokémon HGSS: The spoils • Page 4

Rundown of the notable movepool additions Mk II

Repto

0 +0

Sep 14 '09

If you like Kricketune for whatever reason, sure.

One of the biggest novelties, I'm a little disappointed to say, is Rock Blast Cloyster. It's not like Skill Link has a lot to work with in the first place, but because Icicle Spear is so goddamn weak and Spike Cannon is just average, Rock Blast is really the only move usable with it. And if you use Cloyster, is that one move really worth forgoing crit immunity?

Then again Cloyster never really had much in the way of attacks in the first place. Rock Blast, Ice Shard and Avalanche are really all it got this gen.

Power Trick Forry is kinda like Shuckle, the big drop in power is somewhat compensated by STAB Gyro Ball, plus this thing can explode. Fun on Trick Room doubles.

Gliscor on the other hand needs to be passed a SD or something or saved until lategame, not enough power at its immediate disposal to wreck things.

Gravity Magnezone, Forretress and Porygon2 are everything I'd hoped them to be. I'm falling in love with that move. Potential of Gravity teams should go up now that Probopass, Blissey, Clefable and Dusknoir aren't all we get. Again, really fun in doubles.
Rating: 0

Repto

0 +0

Sep 26 '09

Say... why does Toxicroak get Super Fang, but Gliscor doesn't?

Slowflake

0 +0

Sep 26 '09

Possibly because they went out of their way to avoid giving it to any OUs. Which would imply they know what they're doing, though... yeah, I have a problem with that too. Still, the amount of OUs getting it is zero, this is an undeniable fact. Well, there's Mew in ubers, but otherwise...

On another subject, it's officially confirmed: Serebii had the right egg moves for the Nidos. Smogon even changed their list, and I imagine Shoddy will be updated soon.

Repto

0 +0

Sep 26 '09

While I'd agree that they went out of their way to avoid giving it to OUs, I strongly doubt they regard the competitive scene the way we do, in that "no improvements for OUs" was never a focus. Hell, I doubt they'd even understand the term.

Rather, kind of like what was vaguely hinted at in an interview, the developers have their own idea of what's good enough as is, and Gliscor is one of the many they felt didn't need any good moves added to its pool. Likewise, they gave it to Walrein who, while not exactly the definitive bulky water, was really, really good at the one thing it was known for, and Super Fang makes an extremely unwelcome addition to that.

Stuff like this and the talk of Sandstorm boosting SDef with Tyranitar in mind makes me wonder just how much the developers play around with these things before deciding they don't like the changes it makes. While the stuff with horrible BSTs and whatnot could probably be chalked up to whims and they don't bother deliberating, but I'd bet that they did a ton of damage calculations if not straight up battling over a bare-bones program for things like Bullet Punch Scizor, rather than just thinking "You know, Technician doesn't do all that much for Scizor.. let's throw that in."

What also interests me is if they know a lot of effective movesets and synergetic teams that the competitive players would never even consider, or haven't found yet.. ..or if they have a stronger grasp of what's too good and what isn't.

I don't think the people that work on the battling system and actual mechanics decide what goes on in the battle frontier, because I can't entertain the idea that they'd allow the Latis to be used and not Phione.

Slowflake

0 +0

Sep 26 '09

Likewise, they gave it to Walrein who, while not exactly the definitive bulky water, was really, really good at the one thing it was known for, and Super Fang makes an extremely unwelcome addition to that.

Kinda like how Magneton was godly at the one thing it was good for, and they evolved it, right? Not to say that Magnezone and Super Fang Walrein are bad ideas (at least now we know the former wasn't, anyway)...

<< Previous Page