Forums · Does anyone know how Heavy Balls actually work?

Slowflake

0 +0

Aug 9 '09

And I'm not talking about on who it works, either. I know it's worse than a regular Pokéball on nearly everything, and equal to it on most of the rest. What I'm wondering, though, is where the +20 and +30 are added in the formula. (All the other balls multiply the catch chance, which is a lot simpler.) I've been thinking maybe it's directly to the catch rate (you know, the 3 on most legendaries), but that just makes it brutally overpowered on some stuff. Granted, about all of it is from gens 3 and 4, but Lugia's the exception, and that formula would mean a 7.7x catch rate on Lugia. That's just too much. (The only others where it'd be better than an Ultra are Snorlax and Steelix at 2.2x, for the record).

But with all those new Pokémon... there are a lot of legendary superheavyweights among them. I calculated the rates for those guys, and it amounts to 7x for Kyogre and Groudon, 7.7x for Metang, Regirock, Registeel and Rayquaza, and 11x for Metagross, Heatran, Regigigas, Giratina and Arceus. This can't be right... they couldn't possibly think this is a fair tradeoff for it being so bad on everything else, right?

So if anyone knows the actual formula, I'd be thankful.
Rating: 0

Shadian Vise

0 +0

Aug 9 '09

Bulbapedia simply states that:

Catch rate if the wild Pokémon is:
Between 100kg* and 200kg*: +0
Between 200kg* and 300kg*: +20
More than 300kg*: +30
Under 100kg*: -30

I assume that this is where you got your information in the first place, as this doesn't give an answer to your question. The way it's worded makes it seem that the catch rate is simply increased by the amount specified by the Pokemon's weight. I can't see any other way in which these numbers would apply. I think we can be fairly certain that the catch rate is directly altered by these numbers in some way, which, as you said, could make the Heavy Balls extremely overpowered on certain Pokemon. Remember, Lugia would be the only Pokemon affected in such a way back in Generation Two, when these balls were introduced. At least, that's what I gathered from your original post. The balls didn't make a comeback in R/S/E and beyond, and maybe that was for a reason. Could the Heavy Balls possibly be nerfed or balanced in HG/SS? I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Also, it took me a moment to figure out what you meant in the title. The immature side of my brain (90% of it) just took over at that point.

rose!cherubi

0 +0

Aug 10 '09

[QUOTE]From Serebii

Catch = PokeballEffect (((( 4 * Max HP - 2 * HP ) * Catch Rate ) / Max HP ) + Status + 1 ) / 256

The final element of capturing Pokémon is the type of Pokéball that is used. Each of the Pokéballs either Multiply or add to the figure before the final division of 256 is done in order to determine the final amount. Below are the Pokéballs and their effects and the amount they actually alter.[/QUOTE]

According to Serebii. If this is true, probably -edit: not smart enough to make guesses. Although I do assume the adding is performed after the brackets before the division.

Slowflake

0 +0

Aug 10 '09

Serebii's formula is wrong. Other sites like Bulbagarden have the right one.

rose!cherubi

0 +0

Aug 11 '09

Considering there are no heavy balls in D/P/P, it doesn't fit into the formula.

But the G/S/C one works like this:

[QUOTE] From upokecentre.com

E = (int((((B*4)-(A*2))*[C] )/B)+D+1)/256

A = Current HP, If [A > 255], A=int(int(A/2)/2)
B = Total HP, If [B > 255], B=int(int(B/2)/2)
C = Catch Rate (See below)
D = Status: If asleep, D=10, frozen, D=10, paralyzed, D=5, poisoned, D=5, burned, D=5, else D=0

If a random number from 0 through 255 is less than E, the Pokémon is caught. A higher number has a greater chance of success.

Finding the Catch Rate

The Catch Rate depends on the Pokémon, and the ball you're using. First, take a number called X (which is the Pokémon's rareness), and find the Pokémon you're battling in the chart. If at the end of the calculation you get a Catch Rate greater than 255, make it 255.

A wild Pokemon can be caught with a Ball even if it's currently using Dig or Fly. If the capture fails, that doesn't affect the wild Pokemon's two-turn attack.
X Pokémon
3 Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh
25 Clefable, Snorlax, Steelix, Scizor, Mantine, Skarmory
30 Chansey, Murkrow, Blissey
35 Ditto
45 Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Vileplume, Poliwrath, Machamp, Victreebel, Golem, Farfetch'd, Dodrio, Gengar, Onix, Exeggutor, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Lickitung, Tangela, Kangaskhan, Mr.Mime, Scyther, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros, Gyarados, Lapras, Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Porygon, Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Mew, Chikorita, Bayleef, Meganium, Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion, Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligatr, Ampharos, Bellossom, Politoed, Jumpluff, Aipom, Espeon, Umbreon, Misdreavus, Wobbuffet, Qwilfish, Heracross, Delibird, Houndoom, Kingdra, Porygon2, Stantler, Smeargle, Hitmontop, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, Celebi
50 Wigglytuff, Dugtrio, Alakazam
60 Tentacruel, Rapidash, Magneton, Cloyster, Kingler, Electrode, Weezing, Rhydon, Seaking, Starmie, Girafarig, Gligar, Sneasel, Ursaring, Corsola, Donphan
65 Sudowoodo
70 Slowking
75 Raichu, Ninetales, Parasect, Venomoth, Golduck, Primape, Arcanine, Slowbro, Dewgong, Muk, Hypno, Marowak, Seadra, Lanturn, Togetic, Xatu, Azumarill, Yanma, Foretress, Granbull, Magcargo, Piloswine, Octillery, Tyrogue
90 Raticate, Fearow, Arbok, Sandslash, Golbat, Persian, Machoke, Haunter, Exeggcute, Furret, Noctowl, Ledian, Ariados, Crobat, Quagsire
100 Kadabra
120 Metapod, Kakuna, Pidgeotto, Nidorina, Nidorino, Gloom, Poliwhirl, Weepinbell, Graveler, Rhyhorn, Flaaffy, Skiploom, Sunflora, Teddiursa, Houndour, Phanpy
150 Clefairy, Cleffa
170 Jigglypuff, Igglybuff
180 Machop
190 Pikachu, Vulpix, Paras, Venonat, Psyduck, Mankey, Growlithe, Tentacool, Ponyta, Slowpoke, Magnemite, Doduo, Seel, Grimer, Shellder, Gastly, Drowzee, Voltorb, Cubone, Koffing, Chinchou, Pichu, Togepi, Natu, Marill, Pineco, Dunsparce, Snubbull, Shuckle, Slugma, Remoraid
200 Abra
225 Krabby, Horsea, Goldeen, Staryu, Unown, Swinub
235 Nidoran(f), Nidoran(m), Mareep, Sunkern
255 Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Ekans, Sandshrew, Zubat, Oddish, Diglett, Meowth, Poliwag, Bellsprout, Geodude, Magikarp, Sentret, Hoothoot, Ledyba, Spinarak, Hoppip, Wooper

Now, find the ball you're using below.
Ball Catch Rate =
Master Ball No formula is used, since all wild Pokémon will be caught using the Master Ball.
Poké Ball X
Great Ball X × 1.5
Ultra Ball X × 2
Heavy Ball X + Weight Bonus:
Bonus Pokémon
-20 Any Pokémon not listed below goes here. 100 kg or less.
0 Arcanine, Machamp, Graveler, Dewgong, Cloyster, Exeggutor, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Mewtwo, Forretress, Scizor, Ursaring, Kingdra, Donphan, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Pupitar, Tyranitar, Ho-oh 100 to 200 kg.
+20 Golem, Onix, Gyarados, Lapras, Dragonite, Mantine, Lugia 200 to 300 kg.
+30 Snorlax, Steelix 300 kg or more.

Lure Ball X × 3 if the Pokémon had been fished.
Friend Ball X (Pokemon's loyalty will be 200 if captured.)
Fast Ball X × 4 if the Pokémon is Magnemite, Grimer, Tangela, Mr.Mime, Eevee, Porygon, Dratini, or Dragonair.
It was rumored that you can catch Raikou, Entei, and Suicune more easily with this ball, but this rumor is false.
Moon Ball X × 4 if the Pokémon is Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Nidorino, or Nidorina (i.e., evolves with a Moon Stone). Because of a bug, this effect doesn't occur.
Park Ball X × 1.5
Love Ball X × 8 if Pokémon is of opposite gender of your Pokemon.
Level Ball X × 2 if your Pokémon's level is higher.
X × 4 if your Pokémon's level divided by 2 is higher.
X × 8 if your Pokémon's level divided by 4 is higher.[/QUOTE]

Edit for tags.

Edit 3: In 3rd gen up, the catch rate and ball factors are separate multipliers, so the +/- doesn't fit. Seeing as this one has the two combined, it seems to make sense - again not crunching numbers.