Forums · Types you wish weren't so frigging awful that they render good BSTs nigh worthless

Repto

0 +0

Jun 11 '09

Bug/Flying. Even if that group as a whole has maybe two decent pokes.

Even without Stealth Rock, which puts about three dozen nails into its coffin by itself, there are just too many weaknesses that a ground immunity, 4x fighting and 4x grass resist can't overcome. But Stealth Rock is definitely the most disheartening drawback of them all.

So, here we have Yanmega, with two extremely good abilities, the rarely used of the two being deceptively useful and fitting perfectly with specs (which is just fun) and the former being a strong hand in overcoming adversity out the ass; well, if it weren't for the fact that there's only one handhold for it to grab onto, which happens to be wobbly.

Unlike most bugs that share the now cookie cutter STAB options of Air Slash and Bug Buzz, it can actually use them plus a couple other basic TMs that can hit hard in the few events you'd use them.

And those stats! Only that SDef is pretty crummy. Sure that speed makes you shy away from the sexy Tinted Lens, but it's a step higher than the cutoff point for speed stats typically worth maxing (of course there's exceptions, but you know what I mean, right?)

I'll give Yanmega one thing, in that unlike other pokes with horrendous dual typings, it can at least be usable in some 3v3s, which sadly no one plays.

Felt like making this whiny topic after using Yanmega again, briefly, and noticing it has more going to waste based on its typing than other pokes that aren't particularly usable.
Rating: 0

Slowflake

0 +0

Jun 10 '09

I was planning on doing a video eventually where I suggest changes that should be done to existing moves and abilities sometime in the near future, and as you might expect a Stealth Rock nerf is at the very top of the list. And even with that crippling disadvantage, Yanmega still manages to stay close to the top 50 in usage. Just amazing.

Now, a Pokémon that's hurt much more by that is Vespiquen. Yanmega has no pretention of being a defensive Pokémon, but Vespiquen is. Defend Order and Heal Order, along with beefy defenses, attest to that. But losing half of its health every time it comes in is just so unforgiving. #199 in May, and let's check out what's just above it... Beedrill! Pidgeot! Raticate! Kecleon! Chatot! Even Trapinch! Magneton, Clamperl, Cleffa and Clefairy are ahead as well, for those keeping score. OUCH. Truth be told, Cleffa and Clefairy are almost all FEARs used because of Species Clause, but that's still grossly insulting.

Repto

0 +0

Jun 10 '09

My problem with Vespiquen is its movepool, and its stat spread which still manages to leave a lot to be desired. Whereas Probopass learns a lot of good moves and is shut down by its typing, Vespiquen has limited moves, worse stats than Spiritomb, plus the typing issue. It's a wall in the same way that Lickilicky is Blissey with usable attack. Just.. naaaaaahh.

If you're wondering what I considered the second decent bug/flying, it's Scyther.

Slowflake

0 +0

Jun 10 '09

I'd have to disagree with that, actually. My pick would be... Yanmega.

Repto

0 +0

Jun 10 '09

...except Yanmega WAS the first. Who did you think I meant?

Slowflake

0 +0

Jun 11 '09

I know you thought Yanmega was the first. I think it's second is all.

Repto

0 +0

Jun 11 '09

Um... okay, we seem to have a gap in understanding here.

If I say there are two decent bug/flying types, and after talking about Yanmega say that I consider the second Scyther..

..then you say, "nah, I think it's Yanmega" and when I point out that I mentioned him already, you say, "no, I mean he's second"..

What the hell is this "first"? Are you trying to say one outranks the other or something?

I wasn't comparing anybody to the other outside of saying that there are two decent bug/flying. No perceived ranking beyond that.

Shadian Vise

0 +0

Jun 11 '09

I think what Slowflake is getting at is that he thinks that there is only one decent Bug/Flying type, so the two Pokemon of that type worth using are Yanmega and, well... Yanmega.

Either that, or he was ranking the decent Bug/Flying Pokemon.

Slowflake

0 +0

Jun 11 '09

http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/291.shtml

This guy would like to remind you he still exists. And unlike Yanmega, he's actually OU.

Repto

0 +0

Jun 11 '09

IIRC Ninjask is OU for the same reason things like Weavile and Electivire are OU, when they're actually horribly overrated and can't pull their own weight outside of one or two very specific situations.

All the more easy to say that about Ninjask, who serves one purpose and one purpose only.

I mean, aside from giving the opponent's lead a free usage of Stealth Rock.

fineifold

0 +0

Jun 12 '09

What don't you like about scyther slowflake (besides typing of course)

Slowflake

0 +0

Jun 12 '09

Besides from the typing? I'd have to say the typing. Yeah, it's that bad.