Forums · Beating the battle tower

Is there a team that can take the whole thing?

Ranger Hank

0 +0

Apr 21 '09

Right now I'm definitely going to be using the following

Heatran@Shell Bell Modest 252 hp, 100 sp def, 168 def

Rest
Sleep Talk
Heat Wave
Earth Power

Vaporeon@Leftovers Bold 252 hp, 252 def, 4 sp def

Toxic
Protect
Surf
Ice Beam

What I'm thinking about for the third slot is a tanking Zapdos with roost, light screen, bolt, heat wave. with max defense and hp EVs.. Not sure on a held item yet.

Thoughts/Feelings/Comments?
Rating: 0

CKY Tribal

0 +0

Apr 21 '09

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29425 - There are lots of teams that can take you to 100.

I would recommend Gengar as your 3rd Pokemon. Your opponents lead pokemon is nearly always going to be something that can kill Heatran (assuming Heatran is your lead), so Gengar and Vaporeon together cover his weaknesses. Something like Counter, Destiny Bond, Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb, and holding a Focus Sash, works wonders in the Battle Tower.

I don't think you need two defensive pokemon on your team, the Battle Tower is generally about either hitting hard and fast, or abusing the game's AI. Playing defensive makes you alot more vulnerable to suffering from a spell of bad luck - the game can't mess you over with critical hits and quick claws if you kill them first. With that in mind, I'd recommend giving Heatran a choice scarf/specs and Overheat. Keeping Sleep Talk wouldn't be a bad idea though, so sleep moves aren't as threatening.

Also, you'll find this link incredibly helpful if you're serious about getting 100 wins -

http://mewn.psupedia.info/Pokemon/BTMovesets.htm

It gives every Pokemon you'll face in the Tower, allowing you to make more informed predictions.

Ongakujin

0 +0

Apr 21 '09

Hank don't you have Lava Plume on that Heatran?

The other option for that last slot would be Salamence or Dragonite. While not being immune to fighting, the Intimidate from Salamence would more or less neglect any damage taken from a Fighting move, while still being immune to Earthquake.

On top of that, you can still effectively switch in on Dragon and Ice attacks with Heatran, and still get a second option on ice attacks with Vaporeon.

And yeah, Sweepy > Tanky for the Tower. Especially when you have a problem beating Milotic except with Vaporeon.

Slowflake

0 +0

Apr 21 '09

Um, Heat Wave? Any reason for that over Flamethrower and Fire Blast?

Flounder

0 +0

Apr 21 '09

[QUOTE USER="slowflake" TIME="1240346011"]Um, Heat Wave? Any reason for that over Flamethrower and Fire Blast?[/QUOTE]

iirc Heat Wave has a greater Base Power (by a whopping 5 BP) than Flamethrower and more accuracy than Fire Blast

Slowflake

0 +0

Apr 21 '09

That's not enough of an explanation. You sacrifice 10 accuracy for 5 power, yet you don't want to sacrifice 5 more accuracy for 20 more power?

Mark my words, Heat Wave is only ever useful for those guys like Zapdos or Honchkrow that don't get any other Fire moves. Period.

TempRepto

0 +0

Apr 21 '09

If you use Zapdos, make it all out offensive. Never use Pressure stalling unless it's Suicune, because nothing else has the meat to make a whole round with it. Not even Zapdos, since its defenses will let down its typing, guaranteed.

If I could remember my exact BT team that got to 100, I'd post it, but all I remember was that I lead Fake Out-Last Resort Ambipom and had CMCune. I think my last was Metagross, for the boatload of Froslasses I'd be facing.

Honestly though in retrospect my team was pretty bad. At the time I thought it owned so hard since 80% of my battles were steamrolled by orbed STAB Last Resorts, but I had nothing to assuredly handle the OHKO abusers, and those PIs are easily the worst opponents you will face. "HaxDaunt weak/10" may be a joke on the gfaqs boards, but it's true. You WILL get fucked over by those PIs, at some point, if you don't have something to guarantee you win. Be especially weary of Gliscors, since the OHKO variant has a Focus Sash, and Pinsir because it has Mold Breaker.

Ongakujin

0 +0

Apr 22 '09

[QUOTE USER="temprepto" TIME="1240366838"]If you use Zapdos, make it all out offensive. Never use Pressure stalling unless it's Suicune, because nothing else has the meat to make a whole round with it. Not even Zapdos, since its defenses will let down its typing, guaranteed.

If I could remember my exact BT team that got to 100, I'd post it, but all I remember was that I lead Fake Out-Last Resort Ambipom and had CMCune. I think my last was Metagross, for the boatload of Froslasses I'd be facing.

Honestly though in retrospect my team was pretty bad. At the time I thought it owned so hard since 80% of my battles were steamrolled by orbed STAB Last Resorts, but I had nothing to assuredly handle the OHKO abusers, and those PIs are easily the worst opponents you will face. "HaxDaunt weak/10" may be a joke on the gfaqs boards, but it's true. You WILL get fucked over by those PIs, at some point, if you don't have something to guarantee you win. Be especially weary of Gliscors, since the OHKO variant has a Focus Sash, and Pinsir because it has Mold Breaker.[/QUOTE]

I just realized Mold Breaker negates Sturdy. Fuck.

Ranger Hank

0 +0

Apr 22 '09

I tried it out with a mixed azelf. It has flamethrower, psychic, thunderbolt, ice punch with a life orb... along with vaporeon and heatran.

I can't beat that milotic without a tank. I've beaten him with my blissey, my umbreon, my vaporeon, etc, but never with a sweeping team. I hate that milotic. I hate it. WHY ATTRACT? JUST TO DRIVE ME NUTS?

TempRepto

0 +0

Apr 22 '09

I lost an enormous doubles streak thanks to Mold Breaker Pinsir with Guillotine. It was a rude awakening too- Walrein, Dewgong and Hippowdon were taken down but not before OHKOing my other three members. The OHKO variant of Pinsir has a Choice Scarf so I think I'm okay, and then.. bam. Insert string of expletives.

During a multibattle run I was once paired with my worthless partner against two PIs, which I thought was a sick fucking joke.