Forums · Pichu and Arceus to acquire new moves via event

Thankfully, no huge changes to either

Slowflake

0 +0

Apr 11 '09

A shiny Pichu will be distributed prior to the 12th movie, and it knows Endeavor and Charge. Gee, how useful.

Perhaps more interesting is Arceus, who will get Roar of Time, Shadow Force and Spacial Rend. The first two are junk, and Spacial Rend is merely a modest upgrade to Dragon Pulse.

Hey, at least it's not getting something like Nasty Plot or Agility...
Rating: 0

ArecP

0 +0

Apr 11 '09

That shiny Pichu sounds really attractive!!!

Meh, not like people will be using Roar of Time or Shadow Force on Arceus. I'm pretty sure the set everyone will keep to is the Swords Dance, Extremespeed one.

Slowflake

0 +0

Apr 11 '09

Oh, and for that extra kick in the nuts the Arceus will be level 100, which means no EVs outside of vitamins. The obvious result will be everyone sticking with Dragon Pulse or Dragon-type Judgment.

Repto

0 +0

Apr 11 '09

Actually, if it wasn't for the lv100 thing, that Arceus would fucking own.

With the Draco Plate, Spacial Rend and Judgment tie for power, the former sacrificing a little PP for a crit rate (and remember the plate still boosts the power of moves on top of morphing Arceus. They essentially give it a 180 move after STAB.)

Shadow Force is much stronger than Shadow Claw for plateless SD Arceus, and if you can get normals out of the way it can wreck things accordingly.

But, yeah, it all comes back to being lv100, which is gay, and I have the feeling most people will agree that fully EV trained Arceus cannot legally have one of those event moves.

I'm not *that* familiar with the uber metagame though; just how valuable is Dragon typing with the Thunders and water attacks abound? What is considered Arceus' most useful plate?

Slowflake

0 +0

Apr 11 '09

Hard to tell, because it's still off-limits on Smogon's ladder for the time being.

But if I had to venture a guess, I'd go with ArecP and say screw the plates. Outside of that, my educated guess would be Dragon thanks to Outrage and the rarity of resists, and Ghost for taking out everything weak to that type (which, in ubers, is a lot of stuff) and for the neat immunities to detonations and Fighting moves like Aura Sphere. Dark and Bug are also worth mentions for killing Psychics, yet having different advantages from Ghost and each other, though I think Ghost is generally favored over these two, especially physically.

BTW, I was discussing the usefulness of Spacial Rend with someone earlier today, and he pointed out that the predominance of Pressure didn't make it completely obsolete Dragon Pulse and Judgment to begin with, even without the EV thing in mind. Something to keep in mind.

ArecP

0 +0

Apr 11 '09

IIRC, before Arceus was banned for being too UBER for the Ubers, the plate of choice was steel thanks to the resists. Wait...that doesn't sound right...

All I know is that it was some kind of type that gave it good resistances. Steel is the only one that comes to mind.

Slowflake

0 +0

Apr 11 '09

Wait, I was told Arceus is banned from the ladder because there's no way to get a legit one yet, and if it weren't for that glitch in Japanese D/P so would've Darkrai and Shaymin.

Anyway, while I imagine Steel was popular way back then, that was before the uber metagame truly formed. Remember when people thought Palkia was better than Dialga because it had one rare weakness vs. two common ones? Ah, those were the days.

Repto

0 +0

Apr 11 '09

I was reading in a Giratina-O topic that Lustrous Orb is actually a popular hold item on Palkia. Is that actually true? This same topic did have a number of people that didn't know what they were talking about, and I forget who had said it.

Someone had actually entertained the idea of Giratina-O being OU, because of the forced item. Even then, multiple people downplayed its ever-present bulk simply because of the cuts to its defenses. As someone put it, the defenses of Celebi and a whole 100 more HP along with vastly superior typing is insane. Levitate would also null the threat of residual damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

Went off on a little tangent there.

Slowflake

0 +0

Apr 12 '09

The Lustrous Orb (28.6%) is the second most popular item for Palkia after the Scarf (49.4%). If you check Smogon's Palkia page, the Orb is actually recommended on a lot of sets - the direct competitor is the Life Orb. Why the Lustrous Orb tends to wins out is because while you lose out a chunk of the bonus, you also lose the Life Orb recoil, which is important for maintaining Palkia's bulk. Losing the bonus entirely on non-STABbed moves isn't as big as you'd think, as the STABbed ones are the ones you'll be using most of the time. Heck, quite a few sets have two Water moves or two Dragon moves, so that's even more of a moot point.

It's worth noting that the Adamant Orb lags way behind, because let's face it, when was the last time you saw Flash Cannon Dialga? It needs the non-STABbed moves a lot more than Palkia does.

Giratina-O OU? NO. Never in a hundred years. Forced item or not, shaky stat spread or not, that stat total is just too much to handle, and even while totally inferior to Giratina-A, it still sees quite a bit of use in ubers for what it has to offer. Remember the last time we sent a supposedly inferior form (Deoxys-E) in OU for testing? Well, not only did it prove to be broken, but after that it became the most popular of all the forms in uber. There's a bunch of ubers that should go long before Giratina-O, Manaphy being the only one that's actually worth testing.