Forums · Typhlosion

more questions

Ongakujin

0 +0

Feb 12 '09

So I'm having problems finding any of the old analyses on the website. I go into the Analyses section and I click on them from the list on the right hand scroll and most of the less-used pokemon I'm looking for don't come up.

With the flaming rodent, I'd like to use a Subpunching set, or I'd have to stick to a Sunny Day set... which is no fun. Shadow Claw/Focus Punch is awesome type coverage, and I could go with a Physical fire move and Adamant nature for fun, or Overheat/Flamethrower for a mixed set. Any advice?
Rating: 0

Slowflake

0 +0

Feb 12 '09

Infernape can do all those things and do them better, aside from Sunny Day where Moltres and Entei are the ones you want. Unless you use Eruption, there's just about no reason to use Typhlosion over the superior Fire-types.

fineifold

0 +0

Feb 12 '09

On the other hand, not a lot of things in UU or OU can handle a choice scarf eruption real well.

CrossDragon

0 +0

Feb 12 '09

http://libelldra.com/community/forums/topic/115/typhlosion-157/

Repto

0 +0

Feb 12 '09

I think Grumpig is the only non rock/water/flash/fire that'd take pretty poor damage from a full powered Eruption.

Ongakujin

0 +0

Feb 13 '09

I'd take your advice, Slowflake, if this were on Shoddy. But this is in my game - I already have 3 different Infernapes, and I believe Typhlosion is a bit bulkier on the defenses. I could be very wrong especially since I'm not looking at anything to back it up right now. I guess if I did go with a Mild nature, Subpunch Shadow Claw and Eruption would be pretty good with Leftovers if I were able to get the Sub off with no problem - I'd probably be better off with another move though, as Scarf'd Eruption would be the way to go.

It's more of a preference to make these pokemon. I've had a habit of making teams with lousy pokemon and owning all my friends for years. Since Platinum's coming out soon, I plan on doing the same thing. Like with a Rain Dance team, I plan on sweeping all my friends with my Toxicroak:

Toxicroak@Black Sludge
Dry Skin
Jolly- 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
~Swords Dance
~Bullet Punch
~Sucker Punch
~Cross Chop

Then again, I still need to find someone to trade with in about a week when I decide to start leveling up my Kingdra from a little ol' Horsea. I don't even know if I have a dragon scale lol.

CrossDragon

0 +0

Feb 13 '09

Or I can hack you all the pokemon. >_>

Slowflake

0 +0

Feb 13 '09

Infernape's defenses are 76/71/71, while Typhlosion's are 78/78/85. There's a slight difference there, but it's completely negated by their horrendous defensive typing. Even in that department, I'd give Infernape a slight advantage, with Rock hitting for neutral and a Dark resist being a very nice trade-off for weaknesses to the less compelling Flying and Psychic. Add to that the significant increase in physical attack and superior speed, and the losses everywhere else become meaningless.

Bottom line: if you want Typhlosion to be worth your while, have Eruption. Or else, make a fourth Infernape. It kicks enough ass with its power and versatility that having four of them isn't excessive.

And if you really care about bulk on your Fire-types, Fire itself sucks bad enough defensively that the only true sturdy Fire remains Heatran. Other than that, Moltres and Entei can try to contend with Morning Sun/Roost and Calm Mind respectively. But yeah, Fire is and always will be a type of glass cannons.

Repto

0 +0

Feb 13 '09

I have to come to those terms myself often. It's that kind of reasoning that basically limits 99% of my Lickilicky movesets to things Snorlax simply cannot do.

Snorlax IS my favorite and all, but I've been using the thing religiously for three generations, so Licky is a welcome change, at least if it's not using any of the dozen great moves it shares with fatty.

Ongakujin

0 +0

Feb 15 '09

Heh, guess I'm going with Scarphlosion.

My Moltres is Rash or Naive and my Entei is Bold, I think. The ladder has awful IVs and the former is just... meh.

CrossDragon

0 +0

Feb 16 '09

I'll assume this is for Wifi? If so, I have an Adamant Entei if you're interested in that. It's IVs are Adamant #244 Entei: 24 / 31 / 22 / 29 / 25 / 18, HP Elec 38. :/ Well, slap a Choice Scarf on this and you're good to go I guess. Mix Sweeper?

Ongakujin

0 +0

Feb 16 '09

[QUOTE USER="crossdragon" TIME="1234797773"]I'll assume this is for Wifi? If so, I have an Adamant Entei if you're interested in that. It's IVs are Adamant #244 Entei: 24 / 31 / 22 / 29 / 25 / 18, HP Elec 38. :/ Well, slap a Choice Scarf on this and you're good to go I guess. Mix Sweeper? [/QUOTE]

Damn. Those are some nice IVs. I think Entei gets some awesome options for a physical movepool. I've got tons to trade, items, breeding move pokes, dittos. I just bred a handful of Adamant Skorupis with 28-30 in Speed and Attack and 23~ in Defense - they all know Agility, Night Slash, and X-Scissor, and Sniper is their ability. If you got any requests, I'll see what I can do - I also have LG and Emerald so I can go fetch stuff in those games if you've got something really bizarre.

Slowflake

0 +0

Feb 16 '09

Physically speaking, Entei's just a magnum-sized Flareon, with fearsome moves like Fire Fang (get your Wondertomb counter today!), Iron Head (Rock-types will soil their pants!), Return (beastly type coverage!), and... Stone Edge? Entei gets Stone Edge? Didn't remember that, and it's for a very good reason: you want Entei for CM, and nothing else.

Sure, Infernape can do that too, but Entei actually has the bulk to use it, and use it rather well at that. Everything else? No, just... no. It's got Eruption now, but Typhlosion does it better. Physical? Use Infernape (or Charizard if you want Belly Drum). Special? Use Infernape or Heatran. Mixed? Use Infernape. So yeah, Adamant's actually the worst nature you'd have on Entei, as it dooms you to a life of Choice Band with bad moves. Where's EQ and Flare Blitz when you need them? Then Entei might actually look like a legendary.

CrossDragon

0 +0

Feb 16 '09

Ongakujin, I can just give you one free of charge. >_> Do you want EV'd or no? IIRC the EVed Version is Level 53 with 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SpAtk with a movepool of something like... Fire Blast/Return/Stone Edge/Fire Fang. The un-eved one comes at Level 52 with the EVs cleared. Just tell me when you wanna trade.

Repto

0 +0

Feb 16 '09

I'd feel bad for Entei if I wasn't already using all my empathy for Flareon. We're all too used to many legends having terrible movepools, so Entei is just more of the same. Flareon on the other hand is not only a lump of completely wasted potential, they've had multiple chances to make it not suck, and none of them taken. At this point (allow me to beat a dead horse) it's not fucking ridiculous anymore. They might as well actually hate Flareon. Superpower is as much a slap to the face as Entei getting Stone Edge; sure it's a good move, it's just not what it actually needed above all else, let alone to justify using a set based on its best stat.

Ongakujin

0 +0

Feb 22 '09

So I'm leveling up some Cyndaquils to see what my options are for a Scarf set. So far I've got 2, only levels 14 and 15.

Cyndaquil (14)
Modest
IVS:
HP: 25 (13%, 22-29)
Atk: 10 (7%, 4-17)
Def: 17 (13% 14-21)
SpAtk: 30 (50%, 30-31)
SpDef: 30 (33%, 29-31)
Speed: 21 (13%, 18-25)
HP Ground (61 power) if these are the IVs. which would be the first time I'd consider Hidden Power in a Wifi moveset.

Cyndaquil (15)
Rash
IVS:
HP: 25 (14%, 22-28)
Atk: 26 (14%, 23-29)
Def: 17 (14%, 14-20)
SpAtk: 29 (20%, 27-31)
SpDef: 23 (14%, 20-26)
Speed: 18 (14%, 15-21)
HP Psychic (56 power). Another probably choice for Hidden Power due to Typhlosion's crappy movepool.

However, the latter Cyndaquil's good Atk IV and neutral nature may allow me to use a mix scarf set better than a special scarf set that the former Cyndaquil would do a very good job with. I have to go in a few minutes, otherwise I'd have some more concrete numbers on these two and some other options - any input would be great.

Repto

0 +0

Feb 22 '09

Is wifi not an option? Why don't you just IV battle with somebody and get the exact IVs right away?

Ongakujin

0 +0

Feb 22 '09

[QUOTE USER="repto" TIME="1235339476"]Is wifi not an option? Why don't you just IV battle with somebody and get the exact IVs right away?[/QUOTE]

Anyone around now?

Ongakujin

0 +0

Feb 25 '09

So this sucker packs quite the punch. Sadly its Hidden Power is Poison strength 70. For any other attacking type other than Bug or Fire, that'd be great. Sadly, my Typhlosion can't make any good use of it. So I think I'll be dropping in U-turn for the 4th slot, unless anyone has a better idea to fill in:

Typhlosion@Choice Scarf (considering Choice Specs)
Blaze
Modest 252/252/4 SpAtk/Speed/HP
~Eruption
~Flamethrower
~Focus Blast
~lolHP Poison/U-Turn

I can't think of a final move that works better - Swift only covers Dragonite and Salamence... which I don't think I'd keep this guy out against. I'm fairly certain this guy is strictly lead/revenge killer.

Repto

0 +0

Feb 25 '09

Had to delete my post once I remembered this wasn't for Shoddy. I was going to suggest Earthquake for Heatran, which would do at least 65% to Min/min even off that crappy attack.

Next Page >>