Forums · It's always sucky in Indy.

Doubles warstory, AgentParanoia vs. IxisNaugus

AgentParanoia

0 +0

Jun 22 '08

I've always wanted to write a warstory and I've noticed there are next to no doubles warstories, something I wish to fix. With that said, I've been recording my battles lately and, running across IxisNaugus one night in "Battle Me", I got a record which I thought was half-decent and decided to try my hand at a warstory.

Keep in mind neither of us are pros at doubles and the fact that Ixis was working under the handicap of not having a clearly defined doubles team, so there are some stupid mistakes in here, but I hope that you find it at least mildly entertaining. Constructive criticism always helps! So, without further ado...

StarmanXL (my Smogon name) vs. IxisNaugus
Rules:
-Level 100 Double Battle
-Sleep Clause
-Uber Clause
-Species Clause
-Evasion Clause

Teams:
StarmanXL:

IxisNaugus:

I'll omit stuff like leftovers and residual damage after the first go unless it's important.

Round 1:

-Ixis sent out Torkoal and Spiritomb
-Starman sent out Starmie and Weavile

Hm, have I seen this lead before? Anyway, this lead doesn't seem too intimidating, so I decide to go along as usual and set up Rain Dance first turn. I don't know much about Torkoal but I doubt it will be a problem this turn since Weavile is carrying a Focus Sash and Starmie resists its STAB fire moves. Since Spiritomb is more of a defensive pokemon it will probably try some status move--not to mention Weavile more than likely can't KO it with Night Slash anyway--so I opt for Taunt.

-Torkoal uses Protect, Torkoal protects itself.
-Weavile uses Taunt, Spiritomb is taunted.
-Starmie uses Rain Dance, it begins to rain.
-Spiritomb cannot use Will-O-Wisp because of Taunt

Lucky me, not only does Taunt go off with a hitch, but his Torkoal wastes a turn with Protect, probably thinking I was going to pull Protect+Surf or something. His Torkoal's open for Surf next round, but I don't want to expend Weavile's Focus Sash just yet, so I think it's time to bring in everyone's favorite toxic frog for some Dry Skin abuse.

Round 1 summary:
Starmie: 100%
Weavile: 100%
Torkoal: 100%
Spiritomb: 100%

Round 2:

-Starman withdraws Weavile for Toxicroak
-Ixis withdraws Spiritomb for Tyranitar
-Sandstream whips up Sandstorm, Rain ends
-Starmie uses Surf:
    -Toxicroak's Dry Skin makes Surf useless
    -45% Tyranitar
    - 90% Torkoal
-Torkoal uses Lava Plume:
    -7% Starmie, Burn
    -15% Toxicroak
    -5% Tyranitar
-Leftovers recovery Torkoal
-Burn damage Starmie

Well this was unexpected. I didn't predict he'd switch in Tyranitar (hell, I rarely ever see Tyranitar in doubles) which, although being weak to Surf, gets rid of my rain for some nasty sandstorm, and the effects show. Torkoal manages to survive the Surf thanks to the fact that it's not boosted to normal BP anymore because of the rain, but Tyranitar isn't even 2HKO'd thanks to sandstorm's Sp. Def boost. I need to get rid of that thing as fast as I can, but instead of going on the attack, I decide to take the next turn setting things up again.

Round 2 summary:
Starmie: 80%
Toxicroak: 55%
Torkoal: 10%
Tyranitar: 60%

Round 3:

-Torkoal uses Protect, Torkoal protects itself
-Toxicroak uses Fake Out:
    -Approx 7% Tyranitar
    -10% Toxicroak (Life Orb)
-Starmie uses Rain Dance, Rain, Sandstorm stops
-Tyranitar flinched
-Dry Skin recovery Toxicroak

I wasn't too worried about Torkoal, since Rain would prevent Lava Plume from doing much, but I didn't want to take any chances with Tyranitar, since a Crunch to Starmie would be the end of it (or, as I guessed from re-reading the log, an Earthquake would take out Toxicroak and perhaps even Starmie too, which explains why Torkoal Protected and Tyranitar stayed in better than Ixis predicting another Surf), so I decide to go with the safe choice and simply flinch Tyranitar instead of relying on the 80 accuracy Cross Chop, potentially missing, and getting killed afterwards. I figured I'd kill that weather-changing nuisance with Surf next turn and be done with both of the opponents.

Round 3 summary:
Starmie: 65%
Toxicroak: 90%
Torkoal: 20%
Tyranitar: 48%

Round 4:

-Ixis withdraws Tyranitar for Vaporeon
-Starmie uses Surf:
    -Toxicroak heals to 100%
    -Vaporeon's Water Absorb makes Surf useless
    -20% Torkoal, Torkoal faints
-Toxicroak uses Cross Chop
    -45% Vaporeon
    -10% Toxicroak
-Leftovers recovery Vaporeon

But it doesn't quite work out that well, with Vaporeon coming in to take both the blows meant for the Armor pokemon. My failure to defeat the rock beast now will mean it will come back to change the weather again later. By now, I realize that Starmie's burn is taking its toll and I need to switch to something else; Ludicolo seems like a good choice with Surf for Toxicroak and Energy Ball for Vaporeon. Well, at least I killed Torkoal, but that means that he gets a free switch in for...

Round 4 summary

Starmie: 40%
Toxicroak: 100%
Vaporeon: 65%
Torkoal: fainted

Score: 6-5 Starman

Round 5:

-Ixis sends out Tyranitar, Sandstream starts Sandstorm, Rain ends.
-Starman withdraws Starmie for Ludicolo
-Ixis withdraws Tyranitar for Spiritomb
-Toxicroak uses Cross Chop:
    -0% Spiritomb
-Vaporeon uses Wish
-Leftovers recovery Ludicolo, Spiritomb

Dammit, I saw this coming. Ixis sees right through me at this point, bringing Tyranitar once again to stop my rain--I'm starting to regret not just Cross Chopping the damn thing. But, while I try to rectify my mistake, Tyranitar gets away, leaving Spiritomb to laugh at my Cross Chop while Vaporeon gets off a Wish scott-free. Well, I don't think Toxicroak will do much good here, so I decide to bring in Gengar in its place to drop Thunders on Vaporeon--I figured Spiritomb wouldn't try to Dark Pulse a pokemon that resists it or, if it had Sucker Punch, it wouldn't work and I'd get Gengar in free.

Round 5 summary:
Ludicolo: 100%
Toxicroak: 90%
Vaporeon: 75%

Round 6:

-Starman withdraws Toxicroak for Gengar
-Ludicolo uses Rain Dance, Rain, Sandstorm ends.
-Vaporeon uses Toxic, Ludicolo badly poisoned
-Spiritomb uses Will-o-Wisp, Gengar burned.
-Wish comes true, Vaporeon restored to 100%
-Gengar burn damage
-Ludicolo toxic damage

Well, I suppose I should be grateful that Toxicroak avoided the burn, but now Gengar's Focus Sash is screwed--so much for getting it in for free--not to mention Ludicolo's sweeping days are numbered--even more so if it gets hit--and Vaporeon is healthy as ever. I need to get rid of that thing fast; looks like a good ol' fashioned blitz is in order.

Round 6 summary:
Ludicolo: 95%
Gengar: 87%
Vaporeon: 100%

Round 7:

-Ixis withdraws Vaporeon for Shaymin
-Ludicolo uses Energy Ball:
    -5% Shaymin
-Gengar uses Thunder:
    -10% Shaymin
-Spiritomb uses Spite:
    -Ludicolo's Energy Ball loses 4 PP

Well, apparently not--my short-sightedness will be the death of me. Now I've got a barely-damaged Shaymin in, a pokemon I know next to nothing about and therefore don't really know how to counter. Panicking a bit(as in, a lot), I decide it'd be best for me to bring in Toxicroak and try another Surf rather than try to Ice Beam or Hypnosis the bloody thing. Oh, and I really don't know why Spiritomb used Spite instead of Dark Pulse or Sucker Punch or something...must be the PP stalling set.

Round 7 summary:
Ludicolo: 80%
Gengar: 75%
Shaymin: 85%

Round 8:

-Starman withdraws Gengar for Toxicroak
-Ixis withdraws Shaymin for Tyranitar, Sandstream starts Sandstorm, Rain ends
-Ludicolo uses Surf:
    -Toxicroak fully healed
    -40% Tyranitar
    -10% Spiritomb
Spiritomb uses Dark Pulse:
    -5% Toxicroak

How interesting, my panic actually paid off as I manage to avoid an SE Dark Pulse to the face and nail Tyranitar with Surf. The Sp. Def boost from sandstorm allows it to survive another turn, but fortunately Toxicroak is there to take it out. Thinking I'd be able to beat Tyranitar this turn, I decide to Rain Dance  again with Ludicolo while Toxicroak  prepares to send the rock beast into oblivion with Cross Chop...

Round 8 summary:
Ludicolo: 40%
Toxicroak: 75%
Tyranitar: 10%
Spiritomb: 90%

Round 9:

-Ixis withdraws Tyranitar for Gliscor
-Toxicroak uses Cross Chop:
    -7% Gliscor
-Ludicolo uses Rain Dance, Rain, Sandstorm ends
-Spiritomb uses Will-O-Wisp, Toxicroak burned
-Leftovers recovery Gliscor

But I get outpredicted again (quite an incredible occurrence I'm sure)! Not only does Tyranitar get away yet again to disrupt the weather once more, I have a crippled Toxicroak and a nearly-dead Ludicolo. I decide I should stop messing around and finally bring out Blissey to Aromatherapy away this status--which I probably should have done turns before--so my team doesn't die faster than it must, and so that my star player Toxicroak isn't totally useless. I figure it's safe now, however, since there's no heavy-hitter there to threaten the pink egg, not to mention that I can take down Gliscor next turn with Surf and probably put the hurt on Spiritomb at little danger to Blissey.

Round 9 summary:
Ludicolo: 30%
Toxicroak: 75%
Gliscor: 100%

Round 10:

-Starman withdraws Toxicroak for Blissey
-Ixis withdraws Spiritomb for Vaporeon
-Ludicolo uses Surf:
    -100% Gliscor, faints
    -10% Blissey
-Leftovers recovery Blissey

Well, Spiritomb gets away, but at least Vaporeon was at full health anyway (is that really something to be grateful about in this situation?) and I managed to pick off Gliscor before it could do much of anything. Blissey takes the Surf like it was designed to and prepares to AT while Ludicolo barely holds on.

Round 10 summary:
Ludicolo: 1%
Gliscor: fainted
Blissey: 100%

Score: 6-4 Starman

Round 11:

-Ixis sends out Tyranitar, Sandstream starts Sandstorm, Rain ends.
-Ludicolo uses Surf:
    -10% Tyranitar, fainted
    -5% Blissey
-Vaporeon uses Wish
-Blissey uses Aromatherapy
-Sandstorm damage Ludicolo, Ludicolo faints.

And the rock beast rears its ferocious yet weary head one more time to ruin the weather for me. Fortunately, this time it doesn't run away (man, I was so scared Ixis would switch to Spiritomb or Shaymin) and it finally goes down to Surf--I could have probably used Energy Ball instead and avoided hurting Blissey, but it really didn't matter, truth be told, because I couldn't do much of anything to Vaporeon anyway nor could Vaporeon do much to Blissey that it wouldn't shrug off anyway. Vaporeon makes a Wish while Blissey clerics the team back into action (specifically Toxicroak), but it's too late for Ludicolo, as the sandstorm damage from Tyranitar's last stand proves to be the straw that broke the camel's back...or however that saying goes. I suppose I need to get the rain back, especially since it can no longer be interrupted, so, naturally I go for Starmie to resume the downpour while Blissey's called back for something that can actually do damage...Weavile looks pretty good right now.

Round 11 summary:
Ludicolo: Fainted
Tyranitar: Fainted

Score: 5-3 Starman

Round 12:

-Starman sends out Starmie
-Ixis sends out Shaymin
-Starman withdraws Blissey for Weavile
-Starmie uses Rain Dance, Rain, Sandstorm ends
-Shaymin uses Seed Flare:
    -40% Starmie, Starmie faints
-Vaporeon uses Ice Beam:
    -12% Weavile
-Wish comes true:
    -+0% Vaporeon

Starmie opens the heavens once more, but a weakened it hasn't a chance against a Shaymin's Seed Flare, so I've another poke down. However, Starmie's rain should last long enough to finish the match--eight turns is a lot in a doubles match. With my team set up and revived, it looks like it's time to go on the all-out offensive, so I decide to bring Gengar back in in Starmie's place.

Round 12 summary:
Starmie: fainted
Weavile: 88%
Shaymin: 85%

Score: 4-3 Starman

Round 13:

-Starman sends out Gengar
-Weavile uses Ice Punch:
    -60% Shaymin
-Gengar uses Hypnosis, Shaymin put to sleep
-Shaymin asleep
-Vaporeon uses Surf:
    -80% Weavile
    -75% Gengar, fainted
    -5% Shaymin

Here I paniced again; why didn't I just Shadow Ball the thing, seriously? Oh well, at least it's incapacitated and ready to be killed next turn, but I lose another pokemon to Vaporeon's Surf and Ixis manages to round out the score--luckily, Weavile hangs on by just a tad. I need to stop that Vaporeon quick, but I figured I needed to kill Shaymin first so I send out Toxicroak in Gengar's stead--although, to be honest, who else could I have sent out? Blissey isn't exactly an offensive force and I need to kill things.

Round 13 summary:
Weavile: 8%
Gengar: fainted
Shaymin: 35%

Score: 3-3

Round 14:

-Starman sends out Toxicroak
-Toxicroak uses Fake Out:
    -10% Vaporeon
    -10% Toxicroak
-Weavile uses Ice Punch, critical:
    -35% Shaymin, fainted

All right, I manage to stall Vaporeon for a turn while I finish off Shaymin with a needless critical hit. At this point, I think I'm good, so long as both my sweepers don't get ruined by an unforeseen turn of events.

Round 14 summary
Weavile: 8%
Toxicroak: 80%
Shaymin: fainted

Score: 3-2 Starman

Round 15:

-Ixis sends out Spiritomb
-Weavile uses Taunt, Spiritomb is Taunted
-Toxicroak uses Stone Edge, miss
-Vaporeon uses Surf:
    -8% Weavile, fainted
    -Dry Skin fully heals Toxicroak
    -65% Spiritomb
-Spiritomb can't Pain Split because of Taunt

And I'll make sure of that--well, try to, at least. Fearing another burn, I decide to Taunt Spiritomb once more. Stone Edge, unfortunately, misses the ghost and Weavile goes down to Surf. At first, I didn't understand why Vaporeon would use Surf, hurting Spiritomb and healing Toxicroak, instead of using Ice Beam to finish off Weavile or why Spiritomb would use Pain Split instead of WoW, but later I realized that Ixis was trying to hurt Spiritomb and heal Toxicroak so he could get more out of Pain Split while probably weakening Toxicroak enough to finish it off next turn with Vaporeon's Ice Beam; should that have happened, I'd have been completely S.O.L. Why are so many of my saves luck instead of prediction?

Round 15 summary:
Weavile: fainted
Spiritomb: 45%

Score: 2-2

Round 16:

-Starman sends out Blissey
-Toxicroak uses Sucker Punch:
    -45% Spiritomb, fainted
-Vaporeon uses Wish
-Blissey uses Thunder:
    -30% Vaporeon

Okay, it's all come down to this. Fortunately, Spiritomb is still Taunted and can't switch out, so I use Sucker Punch--which will definitely hit since it must use Dark Pulse--over Stone Edge--which might not hit. Thunder does meh damage to Vaporeon, but it looks like I've this one in the bag now, barring some really bad hax.

Round 16 summary:
Vaporeon: 80%
Spiritomb: fainted

Score: 2-1 Starman

Round 17:

-Toxicroak uses Cross Chop, critical:
    -80% Vaporeon, fainted
    -10% Toxicroak
-Starman wins!

Score: 2-0 Starman

Well, I suppose there were hax anyway. I'm pretty sure I would have won eventually without the crit given the fact Blissey was gonna Thunder again, but it might have survived for the Wish then killed Toxicroak and got into a stall war with Blissey, I don't know.

Well, it wasn't the greatest of battles, but it sure was a lot of fun. I must admit, if Weavile hadn't lived through Vaporeon's Surf the first time, I'd have probably been done for, since I wouldn't have been able to safely stall Vaporeon and kill Shaymin the next turn--I doubt Toxicroak takes Ice Beams very well--and Spiritomb probably would have caused me even more problems.

Props:
-Weavile, for surviving Vaporeon's Surf.
-Blissey, for coming in handy.
-Toxicroak, for being an awesome pokemon anyway.
-IxisNaugus, for one hell of a fun battle.

Slops:
-Me, for being so easily outpredicted and making far too many stupid mistakes.
-Tyranitar, for being one tenacious Sandstreaming bastard.
-My power, for going out for nine hours the first time I tried to write this warstory.

Love it? Hate it? Meh? Comment away...please? Oh, and sorry it's so short, couldn't really help it.
Rating: 0

fineifold

0 +0

Jun 22 '08

does this mean there are double battles on shoddy?!

ArecP

0 +0

Jun 22 '08

No, this was over Wi-Fi, hence the "Battle Me".

I'm not sure when Shoddy will do double battles...if it'll do it all.

gamer reloaded

0 +0

Aug 24 '08

I enjoyed it. It sure is interesting to see how much different the 2 v 2 strategies are from regular battles. It makes me want to try out doubles more often...

(b^.^)b

Slowflake

0 +0

Aug 24 '08

Heh, the bit about not knowing anything about Shaymin made me chuckle, if only because for the time being there's nothing to know about it, except being wary of Seed Flare - even without Serene Grace it's one of the game's greatest moves.

Nice battle, anyway. Dry Skin is such an awesome ability. If only Toxicroak had better stats...