Forums · Gengar (MillionDaggers)

:)

MillionDaggers

0 +0

May 15 '08

[GLOBAL INFO]

Analysis: Gengar

[DEFENSIVE COMBINATIONS]

Gengar's Ghost/Poison type, coupled with its ability Levitate give it a plethora of resistances and immunities. It recieves an immunity to Normal, Fighting and Ground attacks, 4x resistances to both Poison and Bug, as well as a 2x resistance to Grass. This typing brings with it three weaknesses: Psychic, Ghost and Dark. Great complements to its typing are generally Steel types such as Jirachi, Metagross, Bronzong, Heatran and Magnezone resisting Psychic and the latter resisting Ghost and Dark. Conversely they are weak to both Fighting and Ground attacks, thus allowing Gengar to switch in with relative ease. In terms of typing alone Magnezone (for soaking up physical attacks) and Heatran (which can tank both sides of the attacking spectrum), resist everything that Gengar does not; though Heatran+Gengar requires a pokemon to soak up Water attacks, whilst the Magnezone+Gengar combo requires a Fire resist. Steel types aside, Tyranitar makes a great combination with Gengar resisting Dark/Ghost and being immune to Psychic, whilst carrying a weakness to Ground and 4x weakness to Fighting. One must, however, be aware of abusing these resistances through switching, as other Tyranitar, and by extension Pursuit users in general will KO Gengar as it switches to a Dark resist.In this way, its ease of entry into battle is somewhat nullified. Overall, Pursuit is Gengar's greatest threat--other attacks, even a Shadow Ball from opposing Gengar are counterable, and can simply be avoided with prediction and a decent defensive combination.

A Pursuit switch-in can be difficult, and perhaps impossible to completely counter, however there are several tactics a competetive player can employ to avoid a KO. First and foremost it is necessary to remember that Tyranitar, Snorlax and Weavile (some of Gengar's major offensive counters) carry weaknesses to Fighting as well as a heavy dependance on physical attacks, and as such will fear both incoming Will O' Wisps and Focus Blasts. As for team synergy, however, there are also a few options: Lucario with its resistance to Rock, Dark and Ice can switch in easily and scare away these threats with its STAB Fighting attacks. Defensively orientated Machamp can shrug off many of the same attacks and severly damage many switch-ins or Rest off the damage. Since Gengar is usually a lead, the common tactic of 'baiting' a Pokemon out is not usually an issue. However, as mentioned above Steel types and Tyranitar will lure Ground and Fighting types/attacks which Gengar can switch in easily against. Scarfed Garchomp Outrages, a last ditch effort for dealing with Gengar is then simply walled by these very Steels.

Gengar's sets rely mainly on its wide movepool and prediction to KO its switch-ins. A team without a Blissey or definitive special sponge or revenge killer can find itself being easily swept by Gengar especially the Life Orb variation. That said Blissey and bulky waters (particularly Milotic and Suicune) will counter Heatran which can switch in to all of Gengar's attacks (assuming a reasonably defensive EV build and considering Focus Blast's accuracy) KOing with Fire Blast. Similarly Bronzong with, with its array of resistances will catch many neutral attacks. With Gengar's defensive stats it should not, and cannot take even neutral attacks.

[/DEFENSIVE COMBINATIONS]

[/GLOBAL INFO]

[SET]
Name: Life Orb Gar
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nature: Timid
Stats:
Moves:
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hypnosis
[/SET][SET DESCRIPTION]
other options: Energy ball, focus blast (discuss why these are not standard)[/p]

[/SET DESCRIPTION]<p>[OTHER OPTIONS]

[/OTHER OPTIONS]

[OFFENSIVE COMBINATIONS]

[/OFFENSIVE COMBINATIONS]

[STRATEGIC COMBINATIONS]

[/STRATEGIC COMBINATIONS]

[SET COUNTERS]

[/SET COUNTERS]

[GENERAL COUNTERS]

[/GENERAL COUNTERS]

[/GLOBAL INFO]

[SET]
Name:
Item:
IVs:
EVs:
Nature:
Stats:
Moves:
-
-
-
-
[/SET]

[SET DESCRIPTION]

[/SET DESCRIPTION]

[OTHER OPTIONS]

[/OTHER OPTIONS]

[OFFENSIVE COMBINATIONS]

[/OFFENSIVE COMBINATIONS]

[STRATEGIC COMBINATIONS]

[/STRATEGUC COMBINATIONS]

[SET COUNTERS]

[/SET COUNTERS]

[GENERAL COUNTERS]

[/GENERAL COUNTERS]

[PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER]

[/PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER]

RESERV'D</p>
Rating: 0

MillionDaggers

0 +0

May 30 '08

EDIT1: short update, should shorten I guess. note wall of text <_<

ArecP

0 +0

May 30 '08

I know you're not finished but that analysis needs to be cleaned up a little (all the <p> and crap)

I would suggest rereading the Defensive Combinations section as I don't really get some of the stuff you said.

6 resistances isn't really a plethora. 3 Immunities can be considered a plethora, but not 6 resistances. Meh, I might be too anal about this but it could just be a hyperbole or something.

MillionDaggers

0 +0

May 31 '08

yeah, I know, but that's how I write. Chuck in everything I can say, finish it up, then edit it afterwards. Expect typos and the like.

chris!cherubi

0 +0

Jun 14 '08

Important note: Magnezone does not resist Water attacks, which pretty much destroys the entire Defensive section. In fact, Electrics not resisting Water is one of the typing's main flaws. More coming.

Focus Blast is absolutely required over Hidden Power Ice on Life Orb Gengar. Emphasis on "absolutely required". Otherwise Gengar will instantly lose to a Tyranitar or Weavile switch in and have nothing to 2HKO Snorlax with. Focus Blast covers everything that Shadow Ball is resisted by, it is absolutely esselntial to Gengar despite the accuracy. Hidden Power Ice can be an Other Option or go over Hypnosis.