Forums · Wi-Fi Battle Tower rants/discussion/help

littlegreen yoda

0 +0

Feb 20 '08

How many people here play the Wi-Fi Tower? The thing can be so unforgiving at times but there are some fairly ingenious strategies that pop-up now and again.

I made this topic mainly to rant about the bad luck and bullshit that I encounter in the Wi-Fi tower but feel free to add to the discussion. <_<
Rating: 0

Forte

0 +0

Feb 20 '08

How does the wi-fi tower actually work? I've tried to play it a couple times but I just don't get it, and I don't see the need to play it over and over when there seems to be nothing to gain from it.

fineifold

0 +0

Feb 20 '08

Once all three of my pokemon got killed by an Uxie who used yawn, protect, dream eater, and thunderbolt. I had two turns to kill it and no suppereffective moves.

littlegreen yoda

0 +0

Feb 21 '08

[QUOTE USER="Forte" TIME="1203511002"]How does the wi-fi tower actually work? I've tried to play it a couple times but I just don't get it, and I don't see the need to play it over and over when there seems to be nothing to gain from it.[/QUOTE]

Basically the same general rules as the normal Battle Tower (3v3, item clause, Mew/Celebi/Jirachi/Manaphy/Shaymin banned, etc.). You start at Rank 1 and you get promoted to the next rank if you win a set of 7. The highest rank is Rank 10 but after losing a few times at a particular rank, you get demoted to the previous rank.

And after each set (win or lose), you can upload your team to the Wi-Fi tower so others can battle your team.

Repto

0 +0

Feb 21 '08

I'm a Rank 10, and it makes me think almost no one makes it that high because the battle for that rank was fucking ridiculous. One battle against a dude with a random uninspiring team of OUs, and then six straight battles with the same bloody combo against the same exact person, a Lady "Yay, a Farfetch'd! Weak!"

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Counter

Cresselia @ Brightpowder
-Swagger
-Toxic
-Double Team
-Moonlight

Suicune @ Leftovers
-Surf
-Swagger
-Sleep Talk
-Rest

ANNOYING. Needless to say I learned my lesson after the first battle and after disposing of Tyranitar with Garchomp, I let Breloom destroy the both of them easily.

Honestly, it's not very fun at all. Too many Garchomps, too many Weaviles, Milotics, Togekisses, etc. It's all the AI hax but minus the crappy GameFreak-generated pokes.

If you ever make it to Rank 10, play room 1 and see if you face me.

The only things that made me rip out my hair were Scarfed Togekisses, but then I learned to avoid particular rooms and never encountered them again. Suicune with Pressure was an insanely invaluable asset and made a joke out of the innumerable Milotics I faced. Battles were time consuming as all hell, but I didn't mind pressuring things to struggle mode if it meant winning. Then again, occasionally the faggot CPU would get a crit + status and/or stat down and if not losing I'd win by the skin of my teeth. As for surprisingly effective, once and only once I fought a Curse+Payback Umbreon that gave me a run for my money.

littlegreen yoda

0 +0

Feb 22 '08

LOL I'm not quite that far yet. I was stuck on Rank 3 for a long while before breaking off a 28 match win streak only to lose in the first match of Rank 7. Then I continued losing until finally winning a set at Rank 4 to stop the slide. =[

From what I've heard, there's not a whole lot of people who've gotten that far so it's very possible to face the same trainer multiple times.

That Suicune looks beastly but I somehow doubt somebody made it that far with such a luck-based team. They probably switched teams once they reached Rank 10. <_<

Definitely way too many Garchomps, Weaviles, Gengars, etc. Focus Sash is the worst item introduced this gen when it comes to 3v3 battles. Random Scarved Pokemon are also a pain in the ass.

Lately, the thing that's been pissing me off is the apparent ability of the AI to predict my Blissey perfectly with opposing Hippowdons. Every time I decide to use Counter, the damn Hippo will always Yawn me. But if I Softboiled or attack, I get EQ'd. -_-

I faced a similar Curse/Payback Umbry that scared me too but I managed to take it out with a crit EQ. <_<

Machamp is the truly scary Pokemon IMO, especially those Scarf versions. I'm thinking of putting Dusknoir on my team just to deal with that thing's Dynamic Punches but I don't know if I should run Lefties on Dusky or Bliss. There's no good Substitute for the half-eaten apple. =/

Repto

0 +0

Feb 22 '08

Actually I'm easily convinced they made it to Rank 10 with that team, if only because their data was stored there.

Never underestimate Pressure on a thing like Suicune.. ...when used by a human.

The AI on the other hand doesn't "know" when not to Swagger and when not to Rest. If it weren't for my bringing Breloom out ASAP I'm sure I could have gotten some clean sweeps with Garchomp.

Stay away from Room 7. Scarfed Togekisses, several Yanmegas, and Stall + OHKO Walrein patrol that floor.

littlegreen yoda

0 +0

Feb 23 '08

I don't know. Swagger is so luck based and I've had some pretty rough times with luck even in the Wi-Fi Tower.

A CMCresselia CH'd and killed my weakened Blissey and Dusknoir's WoW missed twice in a row. I'd have probably won if that Burn damage canceled out its Leftovers. =[

I'm running a Fight resist berry on Bliss right now so Dusk can keep its Lefties. So far it hasn't cost too much yet but Gengar is scaring me whenever Focus Blast crits Bliss since it doesn't have the continuous healing anymore.

EDIT: And now I lose 2/3rds of my team to Sheer Cold and Fissure. =[[

Repto

0 +0

Feb 23 '08

I checked the rank 10 data for room 1 and my name is nowhere on there... the hell? =/

By the way, if you ever make it to rank 10 and want an easy trip through, take room 18. All you truly need is an answer to Garchomp, both sashed and scarfed, and everything else is easy-cheesy. Some Smeargles that get hit, Agility, Mind Reader then die after you hit them again, some sashless Brelooms which you can take down before they sub or spore you, and some sashless Infernapes. No Blisseys, Milotics, Hippowdons, Metagrosses, and NO GODDAMN CRESSELIA. It's awesome. I never found a single quick clawer either. It felt so easy. There was even a Bronzong there that apparently wasn't Def oriented as it got raped by Fire Fang.

If you fight a Lady leading Garchomp, then Breloom and Suicune, that's me. I suggest you try to OHKO that chomp as it's banded and the Outrage is going to hurt. Knowing how dumb the AI is, Breloom and Suicune shouldn't put up much of a fight (though it will spam Calm Mind.)

littlegreen yoda

0 +0

Feb 27 '08

Yeah, I've seen those Smeargles before. One of them swept my team with 3 straight Sheer Colds. 0_0

What kind of set/spread do you use with Cune? I've started using it after your testimonial lol.

I lost Cune because Gyarados crit hit it with a Stone Edge after getting a few DDs while Cune was sleeping. Then my Counterbliss took out Gyara after being lowered into the red by a Waterfall. Next, I wanted to use Softboiled but Crobat Taunted me. =/

Bliss survives the Aerial Ace to Counter it back and it would've survived the second Aerial Ace to finish it off but the second Aerial Ace was a crit. =(

EDIT: Now after dropping down to Rank 4, I finally face one of my own teams lol. Pretty hilarious to see PressureCune stall out my Blissey. <_<

riod

0 +0

Apr 2 '13

@Repto, I am rank 10 too, what happens when you reach that? :S