Forums · Stages of Trainer Development.

Starking

0 +0

Sep 25 '07

As trainers we go though stages just like in real life. But these changes up us understand how battles and Pokemon work. This can be used to show how we grow as trainers. It is important to know how we grow so we can better understand what we need to learn and what we need to do.

There are about 4 Stages we go though. The 4th being the final, once one has hit this stage. They?re understanding of Pokemon and its sets becomes noticeable. Counters, Common Sets, Stats, these are just some of things we need to remember as trainers.

Most people think Mastery of the tiers makes a great battler. Well, this really isn?t true. Yes, all tiers are different for battlers. But when it comes down to it, the basic rules still apply. Knowledge of the common threats, counters, and stats is still needed to win battles. So OU and UU aren?t that different when it comes to battling.

Stage 1: Starter Stage
The ?Starter Stage? is the beginning of the life of a new EV trainer. These trainers most commonly use the DS as a platform to do battle. What the starter stage is, is basically when you don?t normally IV Breed and Breed for a good Nature. Also, these trainers don?t normally know the most common threats in the world of Pokemon. It?s not until Stage 2 when this happens. But we?ll get to that later. Most Starter Stage trainers are there to have fun. But they soon learn that the drive of winning is a great feeling. This sparks them to become better and better as a trainer. This is when a trainer goes up to the next Stage of Trainer Development.
~Trainer learns how to work with EVs, unable to fully understand sets beyond 252/252.
~Don't normally use common Pokemon, they use Pokemon they find in trades and in boxes.
~Does not yet Understand IVs and Nature in the best ways. They see these things as not being as important as EVs.
~Makes moves based on the Pokemon that are out(This also goes on though Stage 2 as well).

Stage 2: Standard Stage
The ?Standard Stage? is as it sounds. Trainers learn that there are top tier Pokemon. This is when they start to understand Ivs and Natures. They also learn about the top Pokemon for the Standard OU Tier (Weavile, Garchomp, Blissey, Skarmory, etc.). They will normally learn about these Pokemon though battles. By no means does this mean they are bad trainers. They just don?t fully understand what makes a Team great. Synergy is a thing most Trainers don?t learn until about Stage 3. But some Trainers learn about it by Stage 2. These Trainers feel a sense of depression whenever they lose a match. This is a fear they over come by trying to learn more about the Metagames. Others just continue to use the Overused Common Standards all on one team. They never advance to next stage.
~Learns of Standard Sets, most tend to use these Standards/Common Pokemon so they can win these battles.
~Learns of Magic Numbers, only hearing this. They don't bother with until Stage 3.
~Understands how to make a ok Team. Using Standards or types they limit themselves.
~Understands IVs and Natures and trys to get the best out of these two things.

Stage 3: Synergy Stage
This is when the person learns about Team Synergy, the key building block to make a great Team. This is when most people stop using the crutch of the Common Standards and try different ways of thinking. This is when they start to get better and better as they did back when they first started. The main part of this Stage is learning about building a great Team. Also gaining the knowledge of the standards of their tier. They start to understand the limits of the Pokemon they are using. They fix major weaknesses so they don?t hurt the team overall as much. This is were the Trainer learns what to do and how to do it. Most Trainers in this stage still have a fear of losing a match. But it?s not as bad as it once was. Once the Trainers team building skills are up to par with his Prediction skills and Knowledge of Pokemon. They go to the 4th Stage of Trainer Development.
~Learns team building skills.
~Also learns how to counter with a somewhat ease.
~Learns how to see ahead. Predicting one or more turns ahead.
~Gains a habit of seeing what set the user might use. Then sending out Pokemon that can take said attacks and throw it right back.

Stage 4: Final Stage
This is when a trainer knows what to look for in the battle. May it be weak points or bad Prediction skills. These guys just take advantage of every move you make. Out predicting most moves and throwing back at the opponents face with ease. This is what ?Final Stage? Trainers can do. Team building and other skills gained throughout the stages are sharpened to the finest edge when in the Final Stage of Development. These Trainers learn the ins and outs of the tiers. Able to adapt to new Pokemon and Strategies with ease. These are what most tiers want to become. Once they hit this stage. They feel to regret of pain after a lost. This makes battles fun again for the Trainer, most Trainers end up seeking harder and harder challenges. This can also mess up a lot of battlers in this stage. So might not recover if they have a really bad run in. Over all, this is the Final Stage of Development for a Trainer.
~Works on Skills learned thoughtout their career. The more they pratice the skills the better they overall get at it.
~Trainers can quicky adapt to battle situations.
~Tend not to make as mant Mistakes, these mistakes are rare.

These are my Stages of Trainer Development, I hope you like them.
But I know most people will bitch and complain about them. I don't mind that at all. Go ahead and have your say on this. Thats what I really want to hear.

Also, please. No sad stories about how you might suck or saying you are at a low tier. This is so one can better understand the Stages of Development.
Rating: 0

Katsu

0 +0

Sep 25 '07

This actually kind of makes sense. I'd say I'm in between Stage 2 and 3...

Starking

0 +0

Sep 25 '07

QUOTE (Katsu @ Sep 25 2007, 02:41 PM)
This actually kind of makes sense. I'd say I'm in between Stage 2 and 3...

After battling and going though these sorts of Stages.
It starts to make senses once you look back when you were a new trainer.

tpx vengeance

0 +0

Sep 25 '07

It would be more helpful if this were less of a summary and more of a guide to what needs to be mastered at every step.

Starking

0 +0

Sep 25 '07

QUOTE (tpx_vengeance @ Sep 25 2007, 02:58 PM)
It would be more helpful if this were less of a summary and more of a guide to what needs to be mastered at every step.

That really depends on the person.
You can't just say this, this, and this is needed.
Most of this is what people learn on they're own without outside help.
Just saying what each Stage shows and is, not how to go on. That should be done by the Trainer themself. Understanding weaknesses and needed skills is something to most figure out of their own.

Hope you understand that.

jth!slacknet

0 +0

Sep 25 '07

I really like this, do you mind if I elaborate on it, maybe go in a bit of a different direction?

Starking

0 +0

Sep 25 '07

QUOTE (_Jth @ Sep 25 2007, 03:05 PM)
I really like this, do you mind if I elaborate on it, maybe go in a bit of a different direction?

Hmm, sure. Just give some tell me what you got on your mind happy.gif

Ruesap

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

This is a very neat concept. I agree a bit with TPX here - maybe explain what can be mastered at each step in order to move on. I'll definitely take a look at this more in-depth when I have a bit more free time.

fdx!slacknet

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

I would say I'm at stage 5.

rdj522

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

Stage 2-and-a-half here. I've got some semblance of prediction skills and new ideas, but I'm mostly hung up on the Psychic-type, which hinders me a bit. >_>

Shadow Light Master

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

I'm in between 3 and 4 I think.

FDX deserves his own stage. >_>

OMFG Its Eric

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

QUOTE (FDX @ Sep 25 2007, 07:34 PM)

Somebody is a bit cocky ohmy.gif

Shadow Light Master

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

QUOTE (OMFG! It's Eric! @ Sep 26 2007, 03:05 AM)

FDX is pwnage though. >_> FDX, you're at the top of 4 though cuz 4 always wins. And there is no 4. >_>

Starking

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

QUOTE (Shadow Light Master @ Sep 25 2007, 08:21 PM)

FDX is pwnage though. >_> FDX, you're at the top of 4 though cuz 4 always wins. And there is no 4. >_>

<.<
Someone likes to suck up.
Ruesap, I'll have to enter it tomorrow. I Wii won't let me pass the Second Stage. The text is too large for it to handle. But I understand what you're asking for. So I'll get it in ASAP.

Shadow Light Master

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

QUOTE (Starking @ Sep 26 2007, 03:49 AM)

<.<
Ruesap, I'll have to enter it tomorrow. I Wii won't let me pass the Second Stage. The text is too large for it to handle. But I understand what you're asking for. So I'll get it in ASAP.

No, it's just that FDX is pwnage. >__________________>

Starking

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

QUOTE (Shadow Light Master @ Sep 25 2007, 08:55 PM)

<.<

So, I don't pwnage as well.
<.< Man, so rude.

Shadow Light Master

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

QUOTE (Starking @ Sep 26 2007, 03:56 AM)

<.<

<.< Man, so rude.

I don't know what you're saying. >_>

Starking

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

QUOTE (Shadow Light Master @ Sep 25 2007, 09:00 PM)

<.<

<.< Man, so rude.

Basically saying "You think I suck or not good?"

<.< Keep in mind, I have given you a few beatings as well.

Shadow Light Master

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

QUOTE (Starking @ Sep 26 2007, 04:02 AM)

<.<

<.< Man, so rude.

Yes but are record is like 50-50. >_> I have logs to prove it, mind you. lol

Starking

0 +0

Sep 26 '07

QUOTE (Shadow Light Master @ Sep 25 2007, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Starking @ Sep 26 2007, 04:02 AM)

<.<

<.< Man, so rude.

Yes but are record is like 50-50. >_> I have logs to prove it, mind you. lol

Really now, what teams did you face?

Next Page >>