Forums · Explanation for the recent Hypnosis nerf?

Slowflake

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

Check out this interview:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/965/965073p1.html

But, here's the part that's interesting:

""I don't have a least favorite, but when we did the staff tournament, Bronzong was very sneaky. He has some interesting moves, so if you have him it's good, but if your opponent has him it makes it very difficult."

Okay, so that probably isn't the whole story, but at some point they did realize that 70 accuracy was too much with all the excellent Pokémon that could get it and changed it back in the middle of a generation. Notice how Bronzong, along with everything else that had Hypnosis, lost a lot of steam when Platinum came out?

This also endorses my theory according to which they thought highly enough of Bronzong that they felt it was justified to give Bronzors to Byron, Mars and Jupiter.
Rating: 0

CrossDragon

0 +0

Mar 21 '09

So the creators got their ass kicked by Bronzong and decided to nerf Hypnosis back to it's regular state.

Repto

0 +0

Mar 21 '09

I think you're giving Hypnosis too much credit. It was a great deal of things that lead to Hypnosis USERS losing a lot of steam, not just its nerfing. The biggest culmination being the move tutors and revamped sets that resulted, making pokes like Salamence much harder to wall.

The most shafted Hypnosis user was Gengar, and not even so much due to the accuracy but because Scizor OHKOs it with Bullet Punch. For that matter, Bronzong's drop in usage is due to Heatran's rise. And whaddya know, Heatran murders it. That's all there is to it.

It comes to no surprise that the developers of the battle mechanics win. After all, they're the only ones that don't have to conduct countless experiments to figure out what does what in any given situation, and while they might not forsee how extremely effective something is, I'd wager nothing they do is without a lot of consideration beforehand. Even things that end up being some of the dumbest and most worthless additions. You know they thought Feint was a good idea at the time.

fineifold

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

lol, i love how first one guy says he doesn't like bronzong, then right afterwords the same guy (or the other guy, i wasn't following it very carefully) said he approves or disapproves everything.

Repto

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

The other guy said he likes all of them.

I can't recall the exact name off the top of my head, but if that composer fellow is THE man behind Pokemon, he's a liar. He was quoted much earlier saying his favorite Pokemon is Rhydon because it's the first one he made.

Slowflake

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

Satoshi Tajiri is the man behind Pokémon who likes Rhydon.

...and had his parents killed by a Flareon when he was 8.

Edit: Oh, and even though those hit by Hypnosis were also hit by other things, Hypnosis had a very sharp drop in usage across the board anyway.

Ongakujin

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

So I've got the game now - and just kind of going on the whole move discussion as well as the tutors - it looks like there is no bullet punch tutor, unless he's hidden somewhere that the encyclopedia-sized walk-through guide seems to have no account of.

Move Tutors in 3 locations (Route 212, Snowpoint, Survival Area) have so many moves, and I'm glad it seems that they've made a number of the random item finds shards to make it a bit easier to access the moves, but they've missed the one that we've all thought was there. I have no doubt that there could be misprints but I am really really really really confused.

And go Flint, who now features a Flareon.

Ongakujin

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

Nevermind on the whole tutor thing. I'm a moron.

Slowflake

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

Haha, lol Flareon. He should've hung on to that Steelix.

But back to that tournament, I wonder what qualified as uber? Surely Garchomp and Wobbuffet were allowed...

Ongakujin

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

I don't know if they got that into it.

They said the guys developing the battle system always win - they probably look at numbers more than favorites - the other devs probably used cool pokemon or their favorites.

Flint is all fire now, instead of just Rapidash and Infernape lulz. Steelix was so lame. lol

Repto

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

I'm actually more pleased that Sidney or whatever the bug user's name is dumped the worthless Beautifly/Dustox and picked up Yanmega and Scizor in their stead. At least now he resembles an E4 trainer and not a lategame bug catcher.

I wonder if that Scizor will be Technician and have Bullet Punch? It might be able to make a sizeable dent in some weaker Pokes. I'd be very surprised if it had Superpower.

fineifold

0 +0

Mar 22 '09

especially since they almost never switch out.

Ongakujin

0 +0

Mar 23 '09

Lucien would switch on occasion if you used a Dark pokemon in Diamond/Pearl.

I think Aaron's Scizor is going to be Bullet Punch, and there are going to be tons of Move Tutor moves and TMs all over the place- Mars's pokemon both had Toxic in my first battle against her.

I'm looking forward to making a Choice Scarf Flareon- with Superpower, it makes a great hit-n-run pokemon now since it's got great attacking stats.

Ominous Doom

0 +0

Mar 23 '09

I can test the E4 moves... Gimme a week or two.

Slowflake

0 +0

Mar 23 '09

Problem is that when you beat them once, you get the same round 2 thing as in FRLG.

As for tutors... it's common knowledge that Cyrus' Honchkrow knows Heat Wave. No doubt they'll be all over the place.

And Aaron is the first E4 in DPP... Sidney was the first one in RSE.

Repto

0 +0

Mar 23 '09

Yeah, I'm really shitty with trainer names. Don't ask me to name anyone from G/S/C other than Jasmine (and anyone reappearing from R/B/Y) because I can't.

Otherwise I'm really good at remembering poke names, though once in a blue moon I'll call Hariyama Hariteyama and Bronzong Dootakun. Mainly because I did a lot of reading up on R/S and D/P before they came stateside, and while I was pretty bad at recalling JP names of pokes, I easily remembered those two. While they were essentially overwritten by memory of the new names.. not completely.

Ongakujin

0 +0

Mar 24 '09

If I didn't just get asked to sleep over at my girlfriend's house just now I'd probably be at the E4 in a few hours.

I'm in the middle of sweeping the water gym in Pastoria with a Thunderpunching Infernape.

lol

My friend and I each hooked ourselves up to start, so he's going through the game with a PorygonZ with Boltbeam, Signal Beam, Psychic and a Togekiss with Ancientpower, Air Slash, Aura Sphere, Silver Wind - both are Modest.

I got myself an Adamant Chimchar with Fire Punch and Thunderpunch, and a Riolu that's now a Lucario with Vacuum Wave. I also got a Gligar and immediately traded over a Razor Fang so I have a Gliscor with EQ, AA, and Ice Fang.

Not fair?

fineifold

0 +0

Mar 24 '09

I liked the japanese names, I still call magmortor buuburn and tangrowth mojambo.

to arec: read the second half of repto's post

ArecP

0 +0

Mar 24 '09

fineifold, that was the most off-topic post ever, seems like you do a lot of that now. Luckily we have no rules!!11!!11!

I'm not sure if I want to pick up Platinum, I have a Pearl and Diamond that I haven't finished yet because I started over on both of them and the Pearl has Deoxys, Manaphy, and Darkrai >_>

Ominous Doom

0 +0

Mar 24 '09

At least get it on ROM. That's what I'm doing and, honestly, I'm loving it.

Next Page >>