Forums · chomp better than swampert at walling?

OMG how could that be?

iamcool

0 +0

Aug 8 '08

Pokemon:Garchomp
name: Wall
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Body Slam
move 3: Stealth Rock/sub
move 4: Roar/toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Sand Veil
nature(s): Impish
evs: 228hp/12atk/252def/16spd

I use this in conjunction with cresselia [as my main wall]. I only use this to counter the things it can't [like heracross and tyranitar].

The EV spread makes it around 5~6% more defensive than swampert as well as providing enough hp in order to take an adamant-life orb ice beam from a tyranitar but that requires max hp and you'll only survive with 1 or 2 hp. Also coincidentaly, you can take up to 3 close combats/megahorns from CB heracross.
I had 16 EVs in Atk but 299 is a better number since off of a few damage calculations, they always did the same amount of damage. [This also goes for 199 and 200] And 299 Atk STABed EQ has the luxury of being able to 2HKO an impish 252hp/252def tyranitar@leftovers, which is pretty neat for a wall.
16 speed out speeds jolly/max tyranitar and body slam will royally screw over any DD variant.
This set gets walled by skarmory/bronzong but you can just roar them out and set up stealth rock while they're gone.

This set basically makes garchomp into a swampert that has to watch out for ice moves instead of grass and because of this ice weakness and the fact that alot of physical attackers have ice punch, I have found that this set isn't extremely effective but when it works, it can still be pretty useful.
Rating: 0

JellyDemon

0 +0

Aug 8 '08

What about Ice Fang on TTar?

Swampert is used as a more superior tank because Energy Ball and Grass Knot can be seen a mile away, while tons of pokes can learn Ice Beam or Ice Fang to take Garchomp down.

EDIT: Let's not forget Curse now :O

iamcool

0 +0

Aug 8 '08

ice moves r pretty obvious, and this is not to say swampy is worst this is to say that chompety can be a decent wall.

JellyDemon

0 +0

Aug 8 '08

[QUOTE USER="iamcool" TIME="1218234337"]ice moves r pretty obvious, and this is not to say swampy is worst this is to say that chompety can be a decent wall.[/QUOTE]

That just totally contradicted your title.

Ominous Doom

0 +0

Aug 8 '08

Oh, if you went on IRC when I was online, you'd be so screwed...

ArecP

0 +0

Aug 8 '08

We already knew this by just comparing Base Stats...

iamcool

0 +0

Aug 9 '08

well u do make a point, lol erm well, i was tired and at night, well i didn't mean for that title, well it's too late now, and i did it only to attract attention some what so, meh

Arcep ther's more than stats,"We already knew this by just comparing Base Stats..." there r more than stats, like movepool, does swampy have a paralisis move, no, does swamp have an ability that makes pokes hit a wall 80% of the time and that's just with a 100% acc move, no, swampy lacks the surprise factor as well, and chomp can actually survive some ice beams whilst swampy can't survvie GK or EB, but ice moves r seen more than grass so u can see that both have their advanteges and disadvanteges but if u compare them u can see that they're both equal, so u can use one or another but clearly chomp has less disadventeges whilst walling so it's debatable weather they're equal of other wise.

have a nice day

ArecP

0 +0

Aug 9 '08

oh i'm sorry, i've should've been more specific! w/e a bulky garchomp was already made in our analysis. next time post something new and innovative. btw that set is horrible. not only do you have body slam AND stealth rocks but you have the EVs to survive... an ADAMANT ice beam? you' re better off going with toxic and fire blast, maybe even add substitute over roar. now you toxicstall bliss, take care of EQ weak pokes, and take care of steels.

iamcool

0 +0

Aug 9 '08

i believe the set u're talking about is sub salac chomp, not wall chomp, about toxic and sub i will add them but this is meant to be something like swampert but ok

ArecP

0 +0

Aug 9 '08

Not at all, did you not take a look at the Garchomp analysis?

Go there and ctrl+f "Bulky" and viola.

That set has Stealth Rocks, Earthquake, Fire Blast, and Toxic.