Forums · My general suggestions

Gouki

0 +0

May 3 '08

Having just registered here, I would first like to say that I look forward to adding positively to the progression of The Libelldra Forge, whether it be major projects, or just minor contributions. With that being said, I would like to use this thread to offer any suggestions that I may come across while exploring the content of the site.

Now I'm fully aware that much of the site is still under construction, but there are a couple things that I think can be immediately changed for the betterment of the site.

A rather significant issue that I have with the forums came up shortly after I had registered. I feel that should someone prefer to not have a profile avatar, that they should not in fact be forced to use what is actually a large and rather obnoxious, well, avatar. I'm sure some of you see this as just being harmless fun, but keep in mind that there are people who actually do prefer having a more subdued profile space.

My next suggestion is less urgent than the last, but nonetheless, I feel that it would have a positive impact on the overall quality of the site. When logging in, I find that using a username / password system is quite a bit more convenient than the current e-mail / password system in place. While you may dismiss this as being a minor nitpick, I feel that it helps streamline the logging in process by a fairly considerable margin. Now unless you have an extremely long username, typing it in is generally quicker and easier to do than typing in your e-mail address. This also eliminates the inconvenience of trying to remember what e-mail you used to register here (obviously only for people with multiple e-mail accounts).

I suppose that I will keep this updated as I take the time to get to know what's already in place here, as well as what the people who drive the site forward have planned for the future.

Rating: 0

Fantasty

0 +0

May 3 '08

I agree with you on the first one; I've been wanting to do something about that for a while now, but yeah, there's a lot of other things that came up and that seemed much more important (like for example getting things like the Stat Calculator finished), so it sort of slipped away. I'll see what I can do about that.

About the second suggestion, I see your point, but yeah, it's not really that much of an urgent problem I'd say. I would say it (edit: "it" being the current system) definitely has its advantages though, as for one, a user pretty much can't forget the e-mail address he or she used to sign up, which means that when there are any problems with the user's account for whatever reason possible (sudden password change for example), we always know how to contact him/her and he/she knows where he/she is most likely going to be contacted. Making the login system username-based would allow people to forget the e-mails they used to sign up pretty quickly, which is something I'd like to prevent.

Either way, I'm glad we've found another member willing to contribute in yourself, and I hope you enjoy your time here on this site! Most of the discussions regarding the site are held on IRC at the moment as it allows for much quicker discussion (response time is much shorter and more people will participate in the discussion), so if you want to have a good discussion about things you disagree with and you find the forums to be too slow or otherwise ineffective, you can always just bring them up there. Hope to see you around some time :)

MillionDaggers

0 +0

May 3 '08

Hello gouki whom i know from shoddy, welcome to TLF and thanks fo your suggestions :)