Forums · The Libelldra League- Flygon Cup

tpx vengeance

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

Ladies and gentlemen, I announce to you the solo event of The Libelldra League! Welcome to season one of...

THE FLYGON CUP!

I. Summary
II. Schedule
III. Scoring
IV. Tourney Rules
V. League Rules
VI. Current Standings

I. Summary

The Flygon Cup is a 10-week tournament during which players compete every week in single-elimination brackets to earn points. The top eight players with the most points at the end of the ten weeks will then go on to the double-elimination playoff rounds. There will be two tournaments every week, one on Friday night and one on Saturday morning, to allow as many people as possible to participate. These weekly tourneys will be hosted by a TLF staff member, and points will be recorded in this topic. Every week will have its own theme, and all players must stay within the theme or face disqualification.

II. Schedule

Each of the regular season competitions will be held at the same time, no matter what. Sign-ups begin half an hour before the tournament begins, and if you don't sign up, you're not competing. Period. No exceptions. This sign-up topic will also contain the theme and rules for that given week, so make sure you pay close attention to them.

Friday Tournament- 7 pm (-8 GMT)
Saturday Tournament- 11am (-8 GMT)

These times are based on Pacific time, so you will need to adjust accordingly. For those on Mountain time, that means 8pm and 12pm. Central, you're looking at 9pm/1pm. Eastern people, show up at 10pm/2pm. For our European competitors, the "Friday night" tournament will be rather inconvenient for you, which is why you have a chance to play on Saturday night instead. For Hawaiians and any Asian competitors, you have it easy on both days.

Here is the weekly schedule:

Week 1 (10/12 & 10/13)- Tier 2 standard
Week 2 (10/19 & 10/20)- Tier 1 standard
Week 3 (10/26 & 10/27)- Tier 2; Choice items only
Week 4 (11/02 & 11/03)- Tier 3 standard
Week 5 (11/09 & 11/10)- Tier 2; evasion/OHKOs allowed
Week 6 (11/16 & 11/17)- Tier 2 standard
Week 7 (11/23 & 11/24)- Tier 1 standard
Week 8 (11/30 & 12/01)- Tier 2; mono-type teams only
Week 9 (12/07 & 12/08)- Tier 6 Standard
Week 10 (12/14 & 12/15)- Tier 2 standard

This means that playoffs begin on December 21, which is (not coincidentally) the last day of school for most students (at least here in the US), so people should have plenty of time to battle over winter break.

III. Scoring

1st place- 10 points
2nd place- 8 points
3rd/4th place- 6 points

*A player may only earn points for placing 1st-4th once a week. This means that if you placed in the top four spots on Friday, you cannot participate in Saturday's tournament. This is to help keep the point distribution close and to give people who can't show up to every tournament a fair chance. People who have more free time should not have an advantage over those who are more skilled.

*If there are less than 4 people present, the tournament continues anyway. If somehow there is only one person present, it'll most likely be me, so I'll just award myself free points.

IV. Tourney Rules

*Half an hour before each tournament starts, I will open a sign-up topic here on the Tournament board. Players must sign up in that topic within the half hour time frame. If you miss sign-ups, you're out. Sorry.

*All battles will take place on the Official Server (unless someone wants to go in and edit our mod file with the correct Grass Knot formula, we have no choice).

*Stalling matches by refusing to choose a move is not allowed. However, you are allowed to select your pokemon/moves to legally stall as long as you possibly can. I recommend NOT doing this if you want to make any friends, though.

*Spectating matches during the tourney is strictly forbidden. Spectating people you expect to fight (and thus making counter-teams based on their playstyle and strategy) before the tourney actually begins is allowed.

*Switching teams mid-tourney is allowed.

V. League Rules

*Unless otherwise specified, all battles will be played in accordance with TLF's tier list. You may use any pokemon from lower tiers than the weekly rules specify, but you may not use any pokemon from higher tiers.

*In order to qualify for the playoffs, you must have participated in at least 5 tournaments. If a player has not competed in at least 5 tournaments, they forfeit their playoff spot. If there's somehow a tie for 8th place, whoever participated in more tournaments moves on to the playoffs. If that is also a tie, then those players must battle amongst themselves to determine who moves forward.

*Register and use a nickname that starts with [TLF] so that we know whose matches we are not allowed to watch.

*If you disconnect, you lose. Sorry. Fix your connection before the next tournament. Problems like this are the reason we have two tourneys every week, and players may only earn points once per week.

*If there is a Shoddy error that disconnects both players, the battle must be re-fought with the same teams (same moves not required) unless one player admits defeat willingly.

*If there is a glitch in Shoddy's programming (ability programmed incorrectly, pokemon allowed to use illegal movesets, etc) that somehow affects your match, deal with it. If you feel you lost because of it, try again next week.

*When in doubt, the staff member hosting the tourney gets the final call on all decisions.

VI. Current Standings

1) ArecP, gameboy3333 (16)
3) tpx_vengeance (14)
4) SNX7, Fantasty (10)
6) Masterofidiots, repelex, Ongakujin(8)
9) Resum, Ray, FearMonger99 (6)
Rating: 0

Ryo82439

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

good idea. I like the themes. So is tier 1 ubers or OU?

Masterofidiots

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

Ubers

AgentParanoia

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

Ugh. This looks so badass, but I can never use Shoddy or Wi-Fi on Friday nights or Saturday mornings...

Anyway, it seems neat, though. Hope you guys save some warstories for me to read later.

The Hammer

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

Love it. *This sentence was removed by TheHammer for being dumb*

Heh, Evasion clause should be fun...

I sense A LOT of Lucario/Togekiss'.

Hmm, could put a Swords Dance/DT Scyther to good use with AA though...

SilverMillennium

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

Hmmm...sounds very nice but I don't think I'll be entering. My internet connection has been very iffy this past week and I tried going on Shoddy Battle yesterday (for the first time in ages) and I kept being disconnected. I am not going to lose like that...>_>

Sir Spanky

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

I don't understand how there is a tier 6, but a tier 3 tourney. Does that imply we are having a low OU or BL (lol) metagame, or is tier 3 UU and there are no tier 4/5?

ArecP

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

I enter, k?

Question: If we get points on Friday, we can't compete Saturday. Does that mean if I compete Friday and get 7th place or something, I can't compete Saturday?

tpx vengeance

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

mmm... I really should amend that to specify if you place 4th or better. Technically, "points" would imply more than one point, but meh... Bad wording.

Spanky- Leave your Smogonite mindset, and the misleading terms and half-assed tiers that go along with it. We're basing this on a 6-tier system, which is totally independent of the old 5-tier system. Tier 1 is essentially the same as the uber tier. Tier 2 is basically in line with OU, although the standards will be oh so slightly higher due to the existance of another tier beneath it. Tier 3 would consist of the lower part of OU and the upper part of BL. This continues on down to tier 6, which is home to Luvdisc and Beedrill.

Rather than assigning tier placement based on usage (a total failure of an idea; that's what threat lists are for) or on an arbitrarily assigned "presumed power level" like most do, we're working stricly from the bottom ranks upward, based on what pokemon do/don't break a given tier. Because power istaken from a relative rather than fixed standpoint, this method will ensure that far more pokemon have a proper home than in the old system, where a good 50% of pokemon were deemed utterly worthless because they were crap in their own tier but arbitrarily banned from lower tiers. One goal of this tournament is to test this new tier system and see if it is more or less effective than the old system, or if it even makes a noticeable difference at all. The reason I have weeks for tiers 1-3 is because those are the metagames people are most interested in, and the reason I skipped to 6 and dropped 4/5 entirely is just for the total shock value of seeing something totally different. The truth is that with this new system, many of the pokemon in tiers 4/5 are there simply because they don't break the tier, not because they're unusable in higher tiers. Therefore, many of them will prove to be a valuble assets in tier 3.

Sir Spanky

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

Oh I completely agree with basing tiers on power, and having different ones to Smogon, but I do disagree with believing that any kind of BL tier is competitively viable.

Sure I see a 'tier 3' as low OU, stuff like Snorlax, Vaporeon and Breloom compared to Blissey and Salamence, but these guys simply belong in OU, they are just slightly worse off performance-wise.

'Tier 4' is what I refer to as the ex-BL tier, or the dumping ground. It contains the stuff not good enough for OU (in general use), while also holding stuff that would be broken/sweep in UU,I'm thinking about stuff like Entei and Articuno here.

Finally tier 5, or traditional UU I see obviously as completely viable for competitive play, as it can be resolved to be both balanced and fair, while being varied at the same time.

Tier 6, although not completely competitively obvious (due to being very small and you guys using tons of NFE's ?_?), it seems this could work with a bit of ironing out, and makes a fun break.

As you can see, I am only really opposed to tier 3+4 separate metagames.

CrossDragon

0 +0

Sep 27 '07

I'm in biggrin.gif

Also Are we allowed to be in both the Metagross Cup and Flygon Cup?
If not Ill go with the Flygon Cup.

tpx vengeance

0 +0

Sep 28 '07

QUOTE (Sir Spanky @ Sep 27 2007, 11:36 AM)
Oh I completely agree with basing tiers on power, and having different ones to Smogon, but I do disagree with believing that any kind of BL tier is competitively viable.

Sure I see a 'tier 3' as low OU, stuff like Snorlax, Vaporeon and Breloom compared to Blissey and Salamence, but these guys simply belong in OU, they are just slightly worse off performance-wise.

'Tier 4' is what I refer to as the ex-BL tier, or the dumping ground. It contains the stuff not good enough for OU (in general use), while also holding stuff that would be broken/sweep in UU,I'm thinking about stuff like Entei and Articuno here.

Finally tier 5, or traditional UU I see obviously as completely viable for competitive play, as it can be resolved to be both balanced and fair, while being varied at the same time.

Tier 6, although not completely competitively obvious (due to being very small and you guys using tons of NFE's ?_?), it seems this could work with a bit of ironing out, and makes a fun break.

As you can see, I am only really opposed to tier 3+4 separate metagames.

You still have a very OU-centric mindset here. The fact is, Tier 2 isn't affected at all if a certain strong pokemon like Snorlax or Raikou is considered Tier 2 or 3 or 4. If it's viable in Tier 2, it will be used in Tier 2 no matter what it's officially labeled as. It's the same logic as the Shedinja-in-ubers argument, applied on a much larger level.

It is for this reason that the tier system is being built from the bottom up, rather than from the top down. Our tiers are based solely on whether or not a pokemon limits the number of options in the lower tiers. This is why a pokemon as crappy as Charmeleon will be in Tier 5 rather than Tier 6; it completely kills the viability of over half the pokemon in Tier 6, simply due to its typing. Likewise, this is also why Cresselia will undoubtedly end up in Tier 2 while many other strong OU pokemon will end up in Tier 3; with Cresselia present in the metagame, 80% of OU pokemon are entirely useless until it is killed by either Explosion, Toxic, or a lucky crit. Limitations like this are the sole reason for tier separations even where they appear unnecessary. What you're recommending is a system based on arbitrarily assigned presumed levels of power, which is logical to a certain extent, but will invariably leave behind more pokemon than a system in which everything is placed systematically by actual performance.

The parallels between the 6-tier system and the usage system need to stop. There is no reason for Tier 3 to be a "pseudo-tier" and for Tier 4 to be a "dumping ground" in any way. The system we are accustomed to focuses exclusively on one metagame, and abandons any uncategorized pokemon to fall by the wayside. Why is it that Raikou, whose only counter in UU is Lanturn, is allowed there? Smogon apparently decided that because it doesn't live up to the new standard of power, it should be placed in with everything else below that standard. This would makes sense, if the only viable metagame was OU and nobody cared about the 400 pokemon that get left behind. My problem with that, not surprisingly, is those 400 pokemon that got left behind due to lazy treatment. There is no reason to use "not good enough" as an argument not to put something in a higher tier, because it is allowed to be used in that tier whether it is good enough or not. Again, I refer to the Shedinja-in-ubers logic. The far more logical rationale would be "too good" to be placed in a lower tier, because the upper boundary of a tier is an actual restriction, while the lower end of the tier is merely a suggestion that has no effect on the final outcome. In this system, every pokemon will actually have a place because we actually care about defining the upper boundary of each tier. In a tier system that starts from the top down, too many arbitrary lines are drawn, which leads to too many pokemon being horribly misplaced.

tpx vengeance

0 +0

Sep 28 '07

Yes, you can participate in both the Flygon and Metagross cups.

fdx!slacknet

0 +0

Sep 28 '07

You write too much tpx.

OH CRAP IS IT ALREADY TOO LATE TO SIGN UP?

I WANT TO SIGN UP!

tpx vengeance

0 +0

Oct 1 '07

QUOTE (Shadow Light Master @ Oct 1 2007, 11:14 AM)
OH CRAP IS IT ALREADY TOO LATE TO SIGN UP?

I WANT TO SIGN UP!

*Half an hour before each tournament starts, I will open a sign-up topic here on the Tournament board. Players must sign up in that topic within the half hour time frame.

Ryo82439

0 +0

Oct 10 '07

nvm this post.

SNX7

0 +0

Oct 13 '07

Yay, first place XD

Also, I think the rule should be changed to only 1 tourny per weekend, meaning if you participate in fridays tourny, you can't participate in saturdays no matter what place you take.

Sir Spanky

0 +0

Oct 13 '07

Seems a bit unfair to the people that got haxed in their first round, if such an event happens. Might as well give them a second chance as long as they didn't come in the top 3 or something.

Next Page >>