Forums · Empoleon: The Last Torrenter

chimpakt

0 +0

Aug 31 '10

This battle is also on youtube! Come watch it here!

Some of you might know me as yoshididdy btw.

I am running a hyper offense team, but with 2 good supporters in the place of set up sweepers. From what I understand, Hyper Offense is basically just weaken your opponent continuously with the best sweeper for that certain matchup, until you win or lose. I ran a 5 sweeper Hyper Offense team and it didn't work out as well as I had hoped. Particularly because, on wifi, you can't have all the pokemon that you would like on your team. So I got the idea to use a Uturner/baton passer to force switches and give me the matchup advantage. And that rough idea turned into this team, which led to this battle that I had a month ago.

My team:

Goat sent out Yue (lvl 100 Azelf ?).
Echo sent out Imgay<3 (lvl 100 Swampert)

Alright, I think he's going to switch out to something else considering Azelf's can carry taunt which will prevent Swampert from using Stealth Rock, Roar, or Protect. But even if he switches or stays, I am going to use stealth rock regardless.

Azelf used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Swampert used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

He stays in which means he will probably hit me next turn. I'm bulk on the sp. def side so I don't mind getting hit with a special attack, esp from swampert, but waterfall could do a decent amount of damage. I decide to use Reflect.

Azelf used Reflect.
Reflect raised your team's defense.
Swampert used Ice Beam.
Azelf lost 25% of its health.

The ice beam did about as much as I expected. Now I dont think he's going to attack this turn considering how little he did with Ice Beam. So I think he's going to Roar. I could set up Light Screen as well, but it could put me in an unfavourable matchup against Swampert. I decide to Explode and KO the Swampert.

Echo withdrew Swampert
Echo sent out Crazyeyes (level 100 Flygon)
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Flygon
Flygon lost 6.25% of its health
Azelf used Explosion
Flygon lost 100% of its health.
Foe Flygon fainted.
Azelf Fainted.
Echo sent out Bigmama<3 (level 100 Heatran)
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Heatran.
Heatran lost 12.5% of its health.
Goat sent out King Bumi (level 100 Flygon)
Pointed stones dug into Flygon
Flygon lost 6.25% of its health.

Now this Flygon is interesting because it looks like it is choiced but it is actually Expert Belted. This will come into play later. Right now I have a great matchup against Heatran since even if he is scarfed, he will not risk using Explosion/Dragon Pulse on me considering most Flygon are scarfed as well. I know he is going to switch so I decide to go for the Uturn instead of the Earthquake to get switch advantage.

Echo withdrew Heatran.
Echo sent out Swampert
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Swampert
Swampert lost 6.25% of its health
Flygon used Uturn.
Flygon went back to Goat.
Goat sent out Iroh (level 100 Infernape)
Pointed stones dug into Infernape
Infernape lost 12.5% of its health
Swampert's leftovers restored its health a little!
Swampert restored 6% of its health.

This is a decent matchup for me. I have a few things I could do. I could go for the Nasty Plot or the Grass Knot. After Nasty Plot Vacuum Wave will be able to OHKO the Heatran with the help of Stealth Rocks, but if he switches in to a bulky water or a fast Flying/Ghost type I'd be in trouble. I play it safe and decide to Grass Knot instead. Grass Knot will do a decent amount to any pokemon except those who are resistent to it. But even if Heatran switches back, it will be taking Stealth Rock damage as well.

Infernape used Grass Knot. It's Super effective!
Swampert lost 100% of its health
The foe's Swampert fainted.
Echo sent out Tali<3 (level 100 Starmie)
Pointed stones dug into Starmie
Starmie lost 12.5% of its health.

Starmie is easily one of Infernape's best counters. It can recover off any damage that I inflict, orOHKO me with its two STAB SE moves. I decide to switch out and go to Empoleon to take the Surf/Psychic Starmie may use on me.

Goat switched in Hakoda (lvl 100 Empoleon).
Pointed stones dug into Empoleon
Empoleon lost 6.25% of its health.
Starmie used Surf.
Empoleon lost 10% of its health.
Starmie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Starmie restored 6% of its health.

The leftovers tells me that this is a defensive starmie. It probably has little special attack EV investment. It also tells me it's probably Surf/Thunderbolt or IceBeam/Rapid Spin/Recover. This moveset is very difficult for my team to handle, but he doesn't know the rest of my team. I decide to switch in Flygon just in case it has Thunderbolt. If it does, great, I'm immune to it. If it doesn't. I have switch advantage.

Goat switched in Flygon.
Pointed stones dug into Flygon
Flygon lost 6.25% of its health.
Starmie used Thunderbolt
It doesn't effect Flygon.
Flygon (87.5%)
Starmie (100%)

Now I am pretty sure it doesn't have Ice Beam because of the 2 attacks and it has + leftovers Even if it does have ice beam, the fact that I'm "Scarfed" with uturn should scare it away. I predict the switch and believe he will switch in a pokemon resistent to Bug. Pokemon resistant to Bug also happen to be weak to Earthquake, (unless they are flying/bug type themselves) so I decide to Earthquake on the switch. If he brings in a flying pokemon, it doesnt matter since im not scarfed and also carry Stone Edge. Although I would probably switch out given that scenario to save the surprise of being Expert belted.

Echo switched in Heatran.
Pointed stones dug into Heatran.
Heatran lost 12.5% of its health.
Flygon used Earthquake.
It's super effective. A critical hit!
Heatran lost 75% of its health.
Heatran fainted.
Echo sent out Starmie.
Pointed stones dug into Starmie.
Starmie lost 12.5% of its health.

With two of his pokemon unrevealed, and the fact that im sure he doesn't carry ice beam. I decide to go for the Uturn and surprise him. It's super effective so Expert Belt will kick in and also give me the matchup advatange vs starmie since i have two priority users.

The foe's Starmie used Rapid Spin.
Goat's Stealth Rock's were spun away.
Flygon lost 6% of its health.
Flygon used Uturn.
Starmie lost 60% of its health.
Flygon went back to Goat.
Goat sent out Zuko (level 100) Scizor
Pointed stones dug into Scizor
Scizor lost 12.5 % of its health.
Your team's Reflect wore off.

I was pretty confident that Scizor's Quick attack could do enough damage to KO Starmie with Max attack, Life Orb, and technician. I was also pretty confident Surf could not OHKO, but Surf might put me in range for me to KO myself with Life Orb so I decided to just Quick Attack, isntead of Swords Dance.

Scizor used Quick Attack.
The Foe Starmie lost 24% of its health.
Scizor lost 10% of its health due to Life Orb recoil
Starmie used Surf.
Scizor lost 38% of its health.

I underestimated how bulky his starmie was. Quick attack was just a base 60 power move due to technician and Flygon did about 60% with base 140 Uturn. That may have been Max damage with uturn, but theres no way to find out without knowing Echo's EV spread. I'm also disappointed with the Surf Damage, since I could have potentially swept the rest of his team with a SD Scizor. But regardless, I'm sure another Quick attack will be able to take it out.

Scizor used Bullet Punch. It's not very effective.
The Foe starmie lost 12% of its health
Scizor lost 10% of its health due to life orb recoil
Starmie used Surf
Scizor lost 20% of its health.
Scizor fainted.

Aw man. I did a huge misclick here. I meant to quick attack but i clicked bullet punch instead. Bullet punch has only 45 base power vs Starmie due to it being not very effective while quick attack has 60 base. His leftovers recovery proved key here. If he hadn't healed 6% last turn, bullet punch would have finished it off. But now im in a predicament. Vacuum Wave might not be able to finish off Starmie and Stealth Rocks are spun away. Despite that, I still have to try to KO his starmie while keeping the rest of my pokemon safe.

Goat sent out Infernape
Infernape lost 12.5 % of its health.
Infernape used Vacuum Wave
Starmie lost 16% of its health.
Starmie fainted.
Infernape lost 10% of its health due to life orb recoil

YES!!! now he has only 2 pokemon left on his team and im almost in blaze range due to Stealth rock and Life orb recoil. I can maybe sweep the rest of his team with Flamethrower/Vacuum wave.

Echo sent out DixieKong (level 100 Infernape)

I'm not too worried about this infernape unless he makes some excellent predictions. I decide I'll switch to Gliscor to take the fighting move that's coming at my infernape.

Goat switched in Momo (level 100 Gliscor)
Pointed stones dug into Gliscor
Gliscor lost 12.5 % of its health.
Infernape used Close Combat
Gliscor lost 24% of its health.
Infernape's Defense fell. Infernapes Special defense fell.

I am not too worried about the special attack he will throw at me since i have more than enough special defense EV's to take it. And I have a little surprise for him in case he decides to use a certain move.

Infernape used Hidden Power (Ice)
The Yache Berry weakened Hidden Power's power. It's super effective.
Gliscor lost 55 % of its health.
Gliscor used Rock Polish
Gliscor's Speed sharply rose

I am at less than 10% health right now against 80% ape. I do not have EQ on this so I have to baton pass out. I could either pass to Flygon or Empoleon. Flygon can take a Flamethrower easily and easily KO with Earthquake, but Empoleon takes the HP Ice easily. But flygon would easily faint to the HP Ice while Empoleon would live the flamethrower and be in Torrent range and have a Petaya berry boost. I choose to switch pass the boosts to Empoleon.

Gliscor used Baton Pass
Goat switched in Empoleon
Pointed stones dug into Empoleon
Empoleon lost 6.25 % of its health.
Infernape used Hidden Power (Ice)
Empoleon lost 3% of its health.

I decide to use Surf, just in case he has a priority move on his infernape. if it is Mach punch I would be able to set up a substitute (depending on if it does max damage), but if its Vacuum Wave I would be in Torrent/Petaya range automatically. AgiliySubPetaya Empoleon has some defense boosts and most Infernape have little attack EV investment since Closecombat has such high base power already, so thats why despite Empoleon's better spdef stat, Mach punch is the preferred hit. I use Surf since that's the best option I have right now.

Echo withdrew infernape!
Echo switched in Celebi.
Pointed stones dug into Celebi.
Celebi lost 12.5 % of its health.
Empoleon used Surf. It's not very effective!
Celebi lost 20% of its health.
Celebi's leftovers restored its health a little!
Celebi restored 6% of its health

Celebi/infernape are gonna be problems if he makes the right choices. Flygon can take out celebi easy, but loses to infernape. and Gliscor is already at low HP. If empoleon can beat Celebi 1 on 1, I can win, but I'm at around 60%. And his celebi has leftovers. I decide to play it safe and sub down til petaya range and ice beam, hoping it will ohko.

Empoleon used substitute
Empoleon lost 25% of its health.
Empoleon made a substitute!
Celebi used thunder wave
But it failed!
Celebi restored 6% of its health.

If I had just used Ice beam, I wouldn't have been able to beat infernape. But If he used grass Knot on my celebi, I might not be able to win 1v1. It was 50-50 with Empoleon's health at risk. Now that I have a substitute up, I'll just use Ice beam.

Empoleon used Ice beam. It's super effective
Celebi lost 50% of its health.
Celebi used Grass Knot.
The substitute took damage for Empoleon.
Empoleon's substitute faded.

I think about it and there's no reason not to use substitute again. Ice beam does a minimum of 50% to Celebi, but it was nearly at 100% the first time I used it, so the 2hko may not have been guaranteed. With the petaya berry, the damage range would be 75.7% - 89.1%. Easily 2hko'g it.

Empoleon used Substitute
Empoleon lost 25% of its health.
Empoleon made a substitute!
The petaya berry boosted Empoleon's Special attack!
Celebi used Grass Knot.
The substitute took damage for Empoleon.
Empoleon's substitute faded.

I have nearly secured my victory with this petaya berry boost. I will be able to take out celebi easily with this next Ice beam. And unless Infernape carries a priority move, him too.

Empoleon used Ice Beam. It's super effective
Celebi lost 54% of its health
Celebi fainted.
Echo sent out Infernape

Here's hoping infernape doesn't carry a priority move!

Infernape used nothing since Empoleon is faster
Empoleon used Surf. It's super effective!
Infernape lost 77.5% of its health.
Infernape fainted.

Echo's team:

Props
- Expert belt Flygon being a key factor to my team
- Yache berry gliscor :P
- Empoleon saving the day
- No HAXX
- Realized I have a starmie weak
Slops
- Scizor did nothing
- Wasn't as close as I had hoped
- Realized I have a starmie weak

I sent a rough draft of this warstory to a friend of mine and he said that it "lacked the suspense a great warstory should have" and that I "had the momentum throughout the entire match" to be honest, I have been really wanting to make a warstory for a while and it was the last match I had saved against someone. So it was fresh in my head (or DS)

Thank you for reading this :)
Rating: 0